Pancakes

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have found a couple of recipes for pancakes using cream cheese. Both times my husband has made them they have turned out more like an omelette. Is he doing something wrong or is there no such thing as a low carb pancake?

Does anyone have any advice or even better a recipe that would make me a proper thin pancake?

Thanks!

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you tried low-carb pancakes with almond flour?
2 eggs, 100ml almond flour, 100 ml cream, pinch of salt.

Reactions: 6 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
The cheese and egg is going to give something like an omlette, or cheesecake, and the fact that someone calls it a pankcake because it is flat, doesn't make it a pancake that you or I would recognise.

You'll have to try different flours, eg. almond flour or protein powders or if you can tolerate it, a low GI wheat or rye flour, ie real wholemeal flour. You can also pad it out with things like bran or various meals, just google wholemeal pancakes, http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/06/whole-wheat-pancakes.html or http://veryberryhandmade.co.uk/our-recipes/rye-pancakes/ . Whilst the egg provides some rise for the pancake mix, you can help it along by adding fizzy water. Wholemeal flours, meals and brans don't rise like white flour. Most flour substitutes don't rise either

Reactions: 2 people

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
totto thank for the recipe - I will try that later when I have restocked my ground almonds.

yorksman thanks. That's what I thought about the cheese and eggs and also just because it is called a pancake doesn't mean it is a pancake. I thought about using different flours but couldn't find a recipe.

nuttybeaver

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Selfish people
Have a look on the total sweet website. Sorry can't add links on mobile

T2, Metformin 850 Mg (1 tablet twice daily), venlafaxine 75mg (1 tablet daily), buscopan 10mg (2 tablets 4 times daily)

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look on the total sweet website. Sorry can't add links on mobile

T2, Metformin 850 Mg (1 tablet twice daily), venlafaxine 75mg (1 tablet daily), buscopan 10mg (2 tablets 4 times daily)

thank you!

enamor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I use gram flour mixed with water with a touch of vanilla essence. Then to sweeten Agave nectar. The closest I've come to satisfying my sweet tooth.

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was pushed for time and my husband had made some normal batter so I thought I would just have one. I feel so ill. My stomach is bloated and it hurts. I am going to use my last test strip and see if it has affected my bs,

enamor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used approx 100g so I can keep track of carbs (55g carbs per 100g of flour) . Just mix with water till same consistency as normal pancake mix. Hope you like it if you try it ;)
Does not spike my bs like normal pancakes either

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I was pushed for time and my husband had made some normal batter so I thought I would just have one. I feel so ill. My stomach is bloated and it hurts. I am going to use my last test strip and see if it has affected my bs,
Hope you feel better soon, aqua. I will definitely avoid the regular ones now since reading this.

Was going to make the cream cheese ones, but might try the almond flour ones instead. Got some yellow sticker raspberries to go on them :)

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hope you feel better soon, aqua. I will definitely avoid the regular ones now since reading this.

Was going to make the cream cheese ones, but might try the almond flour ones instead. Got some yellow sticker raspberries to go on them :)

thank you! 2 hours later and my stomach feels better. I tested after 2 hours and my bs level was 5.4. Although this is only half the story as I don't know what the level was before I ate 5.4 is OK. I really must order some more test strips as I have not tested for ages and am assuming that as I am eating the same foods my bs are OK. Assumptions can be bad!

Tron2112

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Snap :( I feel gross

One hour later... 6.8 not great but certainly not as bad as when I have potato or rice.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Made a batch for my partner and sister (who lives with me and has been excited for today for weeks lol). I had a salad for tea so no carbs so that I could inject for pancakes instead. I had just the one, which was lovey but feel very full now also was surprised by the amount of carbs in it!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

A

Avocado Sevenfold

thats a shame. what didn't you like about them?
They were too grainy in texture. Will stick to the cream cheese ones next time.

I made cauli couscous tonight for the first time and it was a huge success so that makes up for it :happy:

Reactions: 2 people

aqualung

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They were too grainy in texture. Will stick to the cream cheese ones next time.

I made cauli couscous tonight for the first time and it was a huge success so that makes up for it :happy:

Do the cream cheese ones look like pancakes? My husband has made them before and they fell apart and looked more like an omelette. Maybe he didn't cook them for long enough.