1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Pancakes

Discussion in 'Food, Nutrition and Recipes' started by aqualung, Feb 2, 2014.

1. aqualung

aqualung Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

I have found a couple of recipes for pancakes using cream cheese. Both times my husband has made them they have turned out more like an omelette. Is he doing something wrong or is there no such thing as a low carb pancake?

Does anyone have any advice or even better a recipe that would make me a proper thin pancake?

Thanks!

2. Totto

Totto Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Have you tried low-carb pancakes with almond flour?
    2 eggs, 100ml almond flour, 100 ml cream, pinch of salt.

• Like Like x 6
  3. Yorksman

Yorksman Type 2 · Well-Known Member

The cheese and egg is going to give something like an omlette, or cheesecake, and the fact that someone calls it a pankcake because it is flat, doesn't make it a pancake that you or I would recognise.

You'll have to try different flours, eg. almond flour or protein powders or if you can tolerate it, a low GI wheat or rye flour, ie real wholemeal flour. You can also pad it out with things like bran or various meals, just google wholemeal pancakes, http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/06/whole-wheat-pancakes.html or http://veryberryhandmade.co.uk/our-recipes/rye-pancakes/ . Whilst the egg provides some rise for the pancake mix, you can help it along by adding fizzy water. Wholemeal flours, meals and brans don't rise like white flour. Most flour substitutes don't rise either

• Like Like x 2
  4. aqualung

totto thank for the recipe - I will try that later when I have restocked my ground almonds.

yorksman thanks. That's what I thought about the cheese and eggs and also just because it is called a pancake doesn't mean it is a pancake. I thought about using different flours but couldn't find a recipe.

5. nuttybeaver

nuttybeaver Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Have a look on the total sweet website. Sorry can't add links on mobile

T2, Metformin 850 Mg (1 tablet twice daily), venlafaxine 75mg (1 tablet daily), buscopan 10mg (2 tablets 4 times daily)

6. aqualung

thank you!

7. enamor

enamor Type 1 · Active Member

I use gram flour mixed with water with a touch of vanilla essence. Then to sweeten Agave nectar. The closest I've come to satisfying my sweet tooth.

8. emmarw

emmarw Type 1 · Active Member

What quantities of gram flour or is it a mix till it looks right recipe?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

9. aqualung

I was pushed for time and my husband had made some normal batter so I thought I would just have one. I feel so ill. My stomach is bloated and it hurts. I am going to use my last test strip and see if it has affected my bs,

10. enamor

enamor Type 1 · Active Member

I used approx 100g so I can keep track of carbs (55g carbs per 100g of flour) . Just mix with water till same consistency as normal pancake mix. Hope you like it if you try it ;)
    Does not spike my bs like normal pancakes either

11. emmarw

emmarw Type 1 · Active Member

Fab thanks.i may give it a go.my husband is a coeliac so they would work for him too!!

12. Hope you feel better soon, aqua. I will definitely avoid the regular ones now since reading this.

Was going to make the cream cheese ones, but might try the almond flour ones instead. Got some yellow sticker raspberries to go on them :)

13. aqualung

thank you! 2 hours later and my stomach feels better. I tested after 2 hours and my bs level was 5.4. Although this is only half the story as I don't know what the level was before I ate 5.4 is OK. I really must order some more test strips as I have not tested for ages and am assuming that as I am eating the same foods my bs are OK. Assumptions can be bad!

14. Tron2112

Tron2112 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Snap :( I feel gross

One hour later... 6.8 not great but certainly not as bad as when I have potato or rice.

15. RosieDred

RosieDred Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Made a batch for my partner and sister (who lives with me and has been excited for today for weeks lol). I had a salad for tea so no carbs so that I could inject for pancakes instead. I had just the one, which was lovey but feel very full now also was surprised by the amount of carbs in it!

16. Tron2112

Tron2112 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Two hours after pancakes 6.4. Was not expecting that. I thought it would be much worse. I made the fluffy American style ones with a little real maple syrup on top.

17. I made the almond flour pancakes, but didn't like them :(

18. aqualung

thats a shame. what didn't you like about them?

• Like Like x 2
  19. They were too grainy in texture. Will stick to the cream cheese ones next time.

I made cauli couscous tonight for the first time and it was a huge success so that makes up for it :happy:

• Like Like x 2
  20. aqualung

Do the cream cheese ones look like pancakes? My husband has made them before and they fell apart and looked more like an omelette. Maybe he didn't cook them for long enough.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook