Pancreas transplant outside of the UK?

diva19871987

Hi, I hope you dont think Ive lost the plot here but I have been thinking about pancreas transplants for a long time. I understand that here in the UK you would not be considered for one unless you have say kidney failure? Is this correct?

Anyway Ive been speaking with my family who have suggested I could go overseas to and pay for the operation privately? Can you even do this? My parents will pay as much as it takes but I havent got the first clue if and how I get the ball rolling. I have a vague recollection of hearing that it is illegal to pay for a donor transplant? Is this correct?

Again, please do not think lost the plot!

Thank you

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi, if all your pancreas did was produce insulin then that would be fine, if your body rejected your transplanted pancreas,you could still take synthetic or animal insulin. However your pancreas has other functions; it produces crucial enzymes to digest your food. I've been type-1 for over 23 yrs but only found this out 9 yrs ago when I met two unfortunate kids who'd had their pancreases removed for medical reasons. Not only were they type-1 diabetics but they had to take a cocktail of approx 8 capsules of medication before they ate anything for the rest of their lives. They were both under 5.
Having a transplant of any organ would involve having your immune system supressed by medication which brings it's own risks of infection, that's for life too.
You must be feeling pretty desperate to be even considering this as an option. What problems are you having with your diabetes?
Jus

diva19871987

janabelle said:
Hi, if all your pancreas did was produce insulin then that would be fine, if your body rejected your transplanted pancreas,you could still take synthetic or animal insulin. However your pancreas has other functions; it produces crucial enzymes to digest your food. I've been type-1 for over 23 yrs but only found this out 9 yrs ago when I met two unfortunate kids who'd had their pancreases removed for medical reasons. Not only were they type-1 diabetics but they had to take a cocktail of approx 8 capsules of medication before they ate anything for the rest of their lives. They were both under 5.
Having a transplant of any organ would involve having your immune system supressed by medication which brings it's own risks of infection, that's for life too.
You must be feeling pretty desperate to be even considering this as an option. What problems are you having with your diabetes?
Jus

Oh dear where do I start! From diagnosis 12 years ago I have never had control of my diabetes. Always been a constant battle no matter what I do. If i was an animal they would probably put me down! lol I suppose I am clutching at straws in the hope i will get rid of this bloody thing.

I know were all in the same boat in regards to us hating diabetes. I am willing to try ANYTHING to beat this.

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi, sorry to hear that :( . I had years of swinging all over the place so know how you feel. For me the key to getting good control was changing to animal insulin, which I did in 2008. Before that I had no control whatsoever and felt like **** too and I am one of the many who cannot tolerate analogue insulins.
I've also found that cutting down on certain carbs especially cereals has helped my control and I'm able to take less insulin, which results in less hypos which in turn lead to the swings. It's such a drag not being able to just get up in the morning without pricking ur finger and eating what you want, etc; non-diabetics, medics included, don't really understand what a strain it can be, especially when you've had it for years. We don't get a day off :( .
What insulins are you on, and what is your diet like? Making small adjustments can make a huge difference, and being on the right medication and regime is absolutely crucial, as I found out.
Jus :)

diva19871987

janabelle said:
Hi, sorry to hear that :( . I had years of swinging all over the place so know how you feel. For me the key to getting good control was changing to animal insulin, which I did in 2008. Before that I had no control whatsoever and felt like **** too and I am one of the many who cannot tolerate analogue insulins.
I've also found that cutting down on certain carbs especially cereals has helped my control and I'm able to take less insulin, which results in less hypos which in turn lead to the swings. It's such a drag not being able to just get up in the morning without pricking ur finger and eating what you want, etc; non-diabetics, medics included, don't really understand what a strain it can be, especially when you've had it for years. We don't get a day off :( .
What insulins are you on, and what is your diet like? Making small adjustments can make a huge difference, and being on the right medication and regime is absolutely crucial, as I found out.
Jus :)

Hi, I'm on levermir twice a day and novo rapid when I eat. Do I have a choice of insulins say if I wanted to switch to the type you take? I've never heard of animal insulins so never even knew they did them. Whats different with the 2 types? Probably a stupid question but do they have slaughter the animals for the insulin because I'm a vegetarian and don't know if I could bring myself to do it if they were used just for this purpose?

I have quite a poor diet and have just recently made changes like eating more fruit and veg. But I've had a poor diet for maybe the last 8 years. I'm not overweight and my BMI is currently 19.2. I have lost a lot of weight fairly quickly because I have an extrememly over active thyroid which is being treated but it still remains over active. This has messed my sugar levels up even more and I am having constant lows.