1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Panicky Newby

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by enzina, Mar 3, 2010.

1. enzina

enzina LADA · Well-Known Member

Hi all,
    I'm having the shock of my life after testing myself over the last few hours. The levels are between 25-30. I even tested on two different meters.
    About 10 month ago i had a few blood tests and the doctor told me, i have Impaired fasting glycaemia, NOT diabetes.

I still got a glucose meter and tested regularly and the levels were between 8 -10 during the day. Then i stopped testing but since a week i have to go the loo much more often, have dry mouth, hands and feet pins and needles and feel so restless and irritable. I blamed it on 1000 other things (have a spinal condition and need medication etc) but today i tested again and it is still at 25.5 at the moment.

I am so scared after doing research on the internet again and again.

Please, what should i do?

Sorry about the rant.

Enzina

2. cocacola

cocacola Type 2 · Well-Known Member

HI Enzina, I think you should go and visit your GP and have some blood tests done. I've never had readings that high, so can't really comment.

3. enzina

Thanks Chris, will try and get an appointment for tomorrow.

4. Ardbeg

Ardbeg Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi enzina,

Might be a good idea to also not eat anything else between now and seeing the GP in the morning; so they can do fasting blood tests.

If you have trouble getting through to the doctor's surgery by phone first thing in the morning I'd suggest you just go down there in person and queue up at reception instead.

Good luck. :)

5. janabelle

janabelle · Well-Known Member

Hi, if I were you I'd go straight to casualty, especially as you are having other symptoms. Those levels are very high. I've been type-1 for 21 years and never had reading that high.
    If you' decide to wait to see your doctor in the morning,which I don't recommend, DONT eat any carbohydrates at all, as it's not just sugar that raises your blood sugar. Fruit juice, milk, bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, carrots & some other veg can raise your blood sugar. Drink lots of water to keep yourself hydrated, it can also help dilute the blood.
    Please keep us posted, otherwise we'll be worrying
    take care
    Jus

6. enzina

Thanks for all your replies.
    The reading says now 17.8. The problem with GP appointments here is, you have to phone at 8am, they open at 9pm. By then are all appointments gone. My regular GP isn't in every day as well, the substitues are the very new doctors and usually always tell me, to wait for my GP...

I was thinking of calling the out of hour doctors at CAMIDOC or do you think the levels are not scary anymore?

I won't eat anything now, the last time i have eaten was 4.30. i usually never eat anything after that time anyway.

I can't believe, the levels were over 30 just 2 hours ago, i tested on a brandnew meter as well, with hands washed and everything else correct. :|

7. janabelle

Hi again,
    Ring your out of hours doctor, and report your readings to them-you've got nothing to lose by doing that and this needs to be dealt with urgently. How are you feeling now?
    Jus

8. SophiaW

SophiaW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Readings that high might be Type 1 diabetes. I would phone for advice now rather than waiting for the morning.

9. enzina

OMg, you all was right. I phoned the out of hours surgery and they told me, to go to A&E immediately. :cry: I will just get dressed.

Many thanks for putting me in the right direction. :)

10. janabelle

You've done the right thing, you were obviously concerned enough to buy a meter. Lots of people would just trust their GP blindly. Post when you get a chance and let us know the outcome.
    Jus x

11. enzina

Many thanks all, you helped me through a few really scary hours last night, you are great!

The doctor at A&E first wanted to keep me in but then the levels went down to 14.9 and he said, i could go home but see my GP first thing in the morning. He sent him an email.

Yes, i'm so glad, i had a meter. To be truthful, i won one on here, :oops: Then i bought another one (same one) to be on the safe side.

I also remembered, my father had diabetes as well, i forgot completely. In my family you just didn't speak about illnesses. The doctor in Austria misdiagnosed him and he was nearly blind when they found it. He was ever so upset, he never went back to the family doctor of a lifetime.

So, i will get ready now and walk my dogs. I was so afraid, i had to stay in hospital. I'm living on my own and the doggies need me. Still, in the worst case, i could hire a dog walker or bring them to the kennels.

I guess, the dogs will get a lot of food i will throw out today. :roll: Stupidly, i didn't stick to the diet at all. The more weight i lost, the more i ate...

I will take the diabetes very seriously from now on. Thanks again for your help.

Irene

12. enzina

I forgot to say, the reading is now 11.2 just after i woke up.

13. ditzeeblonde

ditzeeblonde · Well-Known Member

Hope you get some 'proper' help from you GP's this morning.x

14. totsy

totsy Type 1 · Well-Known Member

hya,
    how did u get on at your drs appointment?
    hope it was a help :D

15. enzina

Hi again,

I just came back from the doctors. My GP is on holiday this week, so another one saw me. She said, since i have not even been diagnosed yet proper, she can't get me any meds....The nurse made a 'big' blood test, they checked my urine and there was no glucose in it. The reading there was just over 11 and they said, it is not scary. They said, in the blood test they will see the levels from the last 3 weeks. i'm getting the results tomorrow.

I feel very unhappy with that all and am afraid to eat anything. I repeatedly told them about the levels yesterday and they still said, no need to panic....

What really upset me, was that tthey said, i need to diet for 3 month anyway before they will put me on any medication. Is that right?

16. Ardbeg

Ardbeg Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed on 1st January this year and have been diet only ever since.

I'm due to go for my first eye check up next week, then the diabetic nurse wants to see me. This will be only the second time I've saw her.

I wanted 3 months to try and get my BG down by myself, before considering meds.

My initial reading wasn't as high as yours. At A&E in January it was 16, but my Hb1ac when blood was taken by the nurse a week or so afterwards was 11.2.

Having more or less followed the low card diet advice from this forum my meter readings are now roughly 7 - give or take a point; which was the target the nurse set me. I hope my Hb1ac (or whatever it's called) is closer to 7 when she takes it again later this month.

Fingers crossed.

17. enzina

Thank you Ardberg. That really sounds optimistic!

My regular GP just phoned me although on holiday. He said, he just had a few things to do in the surgery. He reassured me, it's not dangerous and i booked an appointment with him on Tuesday to discuss everything.

Best of luck for your results.

18. hanadr

hanadr · Expert

enzina
    if you eat a little protein and some fat. eg cheese, it should have no effect on your blood glucose.
    You need to complain loudly. They should not leave you like this alone and frightened.
    Hana

19. Synonym

Synonym · Well-Known Member

Hi Irene :)

I feel for you as I have been there myself not so very long ago. Have a really good look at all the threads that you can so that you have more information at your fingertips. 8)

Cutting right down on the carbohydrates will bring your numbers right down. Eat simply by eating things like fish, meat, eggs, cheese, salad bits and bobs, vegetables (not root) and small amounts of fruit as well as cream, butter, olive oil and walnut oil.

Exercise of some kind is also helpful to bring down those numbers even if only walking.

When you see your GP tell him that you want to be proactive in controlling your condition and ask him for a prescription for testing strips because you cannot know what your food is doing to your BG levels unless you test.

Hope you feel much better very soon and those numbers come down without you having to resort to medication for a good while. :)

20. enzina

Many thanks Synonyms and to all the others who replied. I had a very long look around the forum just now and could find lots of information and tips.

This is a good idea to ask for the strips, will do on Tuesday.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook