1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Paracetamol

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Swankypants77, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Swankypants77

Swankypants77 · Well-Known Member

Hi. Is it safe to take one or two paracetamol while you are on insulin?
    I have a bit of a cold.

Thank you.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2. Pilgrim22

Pilgrim22 LADA · Well-Known Member

Short answer, yes. Most over the counter pain killers are fine.

3. Thundercat

Thundercat · Well-Known Member

I was advised not to take ibuprofen as it affects bg. Is thos more medical nonsense? Panadol extra is very good if you don't have a problem with caffeine as it boosts the effects of paracetomal

4. hale710

hale710 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Oh really? I didn't know that! I take it over paracetamol as I'm concerned about my liver (I get a lot of headaches and migraines)

Will have to look into it further!

5. Swankypants77

Swankypants77 · Well-Known Member

6. abs

abs Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Paracetamol is fine any anti inflammatory is not suitable without advice beforehand its not just due to bg levels it can affect kidneys as well.

7. Superchip

Superchip · Well-Known Member

I've had no problems with paracetemol with what I've got, but ibuprofen proved a real issue with kidney function and lung inflammation.
    My consultant at Papworth said to avoid ibuprofen like the plague, I suspect more for heart stuff than a 'normal' person.

The paracetemol is great to combat the vodka.

Roy

8. hale710

Ok..... But paracetamol can cause issues with the liver?

So basically we should take neither lol

9. LittleWolf

LittleWolf · Well-Known Member

Trust me, mostly OTC painkillers screw something up. Funnily enough the only one that hasn't made me vomit violently was Aspirin, but that's come under the spotlight for being very dangerous lately.

Anyone ever had gastrointestinal bleeding? It's not fun. Never takin painkillers again.

10. hale710

When the options are take pain killers and try to get to work, or remain at home horizontal in a dark room and not earn anything I'm afraid I have to take my risk with pain killers.

It's not ideal, but needs must!

11. LittleWolf

Tell me about it. I have migraines and if anyone here has had endometriosis you will know that pulling, searing, burning, jolt of electric shock pain that just runs through your entire pelvis and grips you and you'd rather DIE than move or breathe @[email protected] Aint nothing that can touch that really... Options are to stay on the floor until it passes/calms down or... Well. That's it! I'm too chicken for surgery...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. mickey121

mickey121 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Paracetamol for occasional use should be ok it is long term use that will leave you open to problems

13. benjygirl

benjygirl Type 1 · Well-Known Member

When I was in hospital after being diagnosed Type 1 the consultant said that Ibruprofen was a definite no no. They only recommended paracetamol which does absolutely nothing for me.

14. hale710

Thanks, will definitely ask my consultant about this!

15. Anonymous

Anonymous · Guest

Glad I came across this tread been taking deep heat and co-codomal all week. Which did nothing for the pain on the left side of my back, had it for 10 days now. Try paracetamol did nothing. Littlewolfe(love the name btw) I too suffer with endometriosis I have a severe form of it had 2 operations so far. I remember being at the hospital and having to have morphine to get me up off the floor. Can't figure out why no pain killers is working on my back. Trying cura heat today. At least now I know why my need for blue inhaler has increased never knew about inflammation of the lungs. This forum is fab

16. Heidigirl

Heidigirl · Newbie

I have arthritis in my hands as well as Type2 and if I don't take painkillers I really struggle. My GP prescribes paracetamol and ibuprofen for me - he says it is OK to take the paracetamol daily, which I have been doing long term with no obvious problems to date, but only to use the ibuprofen if I am having a particularly bad patch as it can raise blood pressure. I usually restrict myself to 2 paracetamol morning and night and that seems to take the edge off the pain. I can really tell the difference if I leave it off.
    All my liver and kidney function tests come out OK so far and I have been using this for a few years now.

17. Nuisance666

Nuisance666 · Newbie

My doctor told me that paracetamol is the safest painkiller to take. He said that so long as you don't exceed the stated dose - which is no more than 8 tabs or capsules per day you could take it regularly for years and do yourself no harm. I wonder why these health forums generate such panic about so many ordinary things?

18. GraceK

GraceK · Well-Known Member

I have ongoing back pain due to a few cracked ribs five years ago. Between that and my usual 'diabetic slump' after lunch time, by 3pm by back feels like it's 10pm. So I usually pop a couple of common and garden 19p a packet Paracetamol when the pain gets really bad. It usually does the trick for a few hours. I also use a Paingone Pen which is a sort of Tens machine designed like a pen. That's also very good for muscle pain.

19. LittleWolf

Mode, I'm so sorry you know that pain too, but it is kind if nice being reminded I'm not the only one in the world. BAH morphine... Yes it kind of helps but it made me so dizzy and cold and it's hard To get to the bathroom (IV fluids make me pee like nuts) either to urinate or vomit. Opiates= can't breathe, palpitations, stomach pain and barf -_-

Has anyone used Diclofenac? It helps a little with minor pain but I can't get it over the counter. Seems to be the thing least likely to make me Ill. Mode, it's meant to be particularly helpful for lady parts. The suppositories are a bit uncomfortable but seem to work better than pills.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous · Guest

Littlewolf ask your doctor for tramafic acid you take it on 1st day of period for 3 days only it reduces the bleeding, takes the pain away. You literally just spot nothing else. I have heard of that painkiller but I'm asthmatic I have to be carefully what I take. And as I'm taking other medication they some times don't go well together.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook