Parent of a newly diagnosed diabetic

lynnallan

Hi,

I'm new to this community and this is my first post.

My daughter is 11 and was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes in December. Since then we've been trying to get our heads around the whole subject of diabetes and it hasn't been easy. It's hard to monitor the blood sugar and keep it normal. It's hard to monitor exactly how much she is eating, how much she is taking (even when we stand over her) especially as she thinks she knows what she is doing.

We were brought up short last week when we found out she had too much insulin. She ended up in hospital and, thanks to the excellent care of the doctors, we were able to bring her home on Sunday.

It's all been an emotional rollercoaster as we try to come to terms with the seriousness of her condition and the management of it.

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi and welcome to the forum. It must be fightening for you to watch your daughter trying to cope with this, especially trying to let her manage things when you don't understand them. If you have a look down the board index you'll find the Daibetes Youthclub, a special area for youngsters with diabetes and their parents. You'll find lots of help and support from them!

Ann

elainechi

hi i have a12 year old daughter jane dx 18 mths ago and we.re still learning! i.ve been through the same problems and still are. at school get the SEN CO ORDINATOR involved and just be patient. its very hard work and each child is different. the youth forum is good and a place to ask questions or just rant. life is great....... pre teens are one thing. plus diabetes is can be too much for you and your child who really does not want diabetes today tomoorow or for the rest of their lives xxxxxxxxxx :)

lynnallan

Hi Elaine,

Thank you! SENCO is involved as she's already statemented! Our consultant is amazing and is stepping in to help more.

Will definately be using the Youth Forum as well. Is good to know we are not alone!

saffie547

Hi, my son was diagnosed new years eve last year he is 7 and is finding this difficult at times but at other times he takes it in his stride x