1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Partners of diabetics

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by Molly56, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I noticed Molly was not getting responses from partners. Which is why I tried to give the perspective of my partner. With his approval. He wouldn't respond himself because he doesn't regard this forum as his domain, though he knows I find it useful.
    Probably because, like many partners he trusts me get on with managing my health with minimal input from him. Though he would give me his advice/opinion on my management if I asked him.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Northerngirl

Northerngirl Family member · Member

I've just found this thread, Molly. Just what I'm looking for. I'm going to read through it all now.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Molly56

Molly56 Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

@Northerngirl ....am happy to chat anytime....looks like we are in similar boats...

• Like Like x 2
  4. Northerngirl

Northerngirl Family member · Member

Ooh, yes please! I've been discussing this a bit in the type 2, just started insulin forum, and someone there said there were a few threads about this.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Celeriac

Celeriac Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm T2, my husband isn't but his mother and daughter from first marriage are both T2. I do 90% of the shopping and as we eat together in the evening, (sometimes lunch too if he's at office base locally) I told him that if he wanted all the cream etc he would have to cut down on the carbs. He wouldn't which made meals difficult. Then he developed Non-Coeliac Gluten Syndrome and hey presto, drastic reduction in carbs. He now realises how important diet is and now we mutually support each other. No gluten or processed carbs, sugar or sweeteners in the house.

I really feel for people with a sweet tooth if their partner stashes sweet food. My husband was a bread fiend and since I wasn't that keen it didn't bother me. I think I'm quite lucky.

• Like Like x 2
  6. photognut

photognut Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm the diabetic in our household and started adjusting normal recipes to suit me while giving husband, son and daughter their normal carbs. The tribe started tucking into my Paleo bread - to the point, I got cross when one of them wouldn't own up to who had eaten the last piece, leaving the normal bread in the bread bin.
    My son, in his late twenties saving up to go off on his usual winter ski bum activities, after a few comments of "What's that weird s**t?" started to tuck into whatever I made - one creation happened to be what looked like fluorescent green soup (my wheat grass was overgrown and needed mowing!) He scoffed 2 bowls of it. When I asked him if he would like to know what was in it?.... That look came over his face, I won't tell you what the response was when he found out that I had fed him grass!!! :D

Perhaps, the answer to these stubborn diabetics who won't eat to help their condition is to just start introducing different foods? My lot of norms, if you can call them that :rolleyes: can happily live on my diet through their own choice.

7. Celeriac

Celeriac Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I look back at my diagnosis and I was really angry. I had a low risk of diabetes according to NHS Choices. I was also the worst case my GP had ever seen when my first HbA1c came back, but didn't have any of the classic symptoms. I wasn't in denial because I trust my GP but I can see why many people want to cling to their familiar food and not change their diet, as if it's their anchor.

8. ButtterflyLady

ButtterflyLady Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Just curious, what was your first HbA1c? I can't quite remember mine, it might have been in the 60s, but I had symptoms. We're all so different aren't we?

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook