Paul Saladino Podcast Ep#43: Carnivore vs Fruitarian

M

Member496333

Firstly, no, this discussion is not meant to pitch one side against the other. Saladino's latest podcast is amazing. Possibly the most interesting I've ever listened to. It covers a whole bunch of stuff related to nutrition and diabetes, including type 1 as well as type 2. It's a long one at ~120 minutes, but highly recommended for those who may be interested, and have the time and inclination.

"Cyrus Khambatta has a PhD in nutritional biochemistry from UC Berkeley. Robby Barbaro has a master’s degree in public health. Both have type 1 diabetes and have been featured in plant-based documentaries like Forks Over Knives.

Though Robby and Cyrus have been able to improve their blood sugar control with a fruit heavy plant-based diet, I had some concerns about their approach (inadequate protein, nutrient deficiencies, etc..) so I invited them on the show. Even with almost two hours we didn’t have time to get into everything but we did talk about the biochemical basis of insulin resistance vs glucose sparing in detail and addressed the false notion that low carbohydrate diets cause pathological insulin resistance head on.

I hope you all enjoy this episode and I look forward to doing more animal vs plant “debates” with plant based advocates in the future. I don’t want my podcast to be an echo-chamber!"

Web;
https://carnivoremd.com/carnivore-v...with-robby-and-cyrus-from-mastering-diabetes/

Apple;
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podca...paul-saladino-md/id1461771083?i=1000465892192

M

Member496333

I'm saving this for later, thank you.

It’s genuinely excellent. Saladino is a beast, though. If you’re gonna debate this guy on nutrition science and biochemistry then you better know your onions. This one gets a tiny bit animated in places but overall it’s very informative and ends amicably.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It’s genuinely excellent. Saladino is a beast, though. If you’re gonna debate this guy on nutrition science and biochemistry then you better know your onions. This one gets a tiny bit animated in places but overall it’s very informative and ends amicably.

Erm, I'm not planning to Jim, my home economics O level won't stretch that far!

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
120 minutes is a longtime. My fear is that if you find him ( Saladino ) amazing then I probably will not.
No disrespect but a leopard doesn’t change its spots.;)

M

Member496333

Nice coordinated attempt at ruining a thread. Move along now. There's other, less boring things to be doing if the topic is of no interest.

Reactions: Colin of Kent

MetabolicJim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I enjoyed it. Made me wonder if carbs plus fat was where I went wrong rather than just sugar. I remember eating white baguettes with butter!

Reactions: lucylocket61

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All,

A post has been deleted from this thread for attempting to stir up intolerance and dissent.

Please bear in mind that while polite discussion is good, any posts which breach our forum rules will be deleted.

Last edited:

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
What I wonder have I missed. I will watch the video when I am feeling a little better than I am now and more able to give it more proper thought and attention my brain is just to befuddled at the moment.

Sorry not video but podcast and not watch but listen.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There was a brief clip of video on twitter and Cyrus looked quite unwell compared to the picture accompanying the podcast..

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
I applaud Paul for bringing the other side, in a reasonable manner. It would be interesting to see if anyone who is Type 2 could manage / reverse using this alternative approach. I know about the randle cycle, but would never now try high carb low fat.

I share your enthusiasm Jim regarding Paul's rapier knowledge, he's the male version of Zoe Harcombe, ad far as detail is concerned.

I am disappointed Jim, that you even had to have this statement, it really should not be required:

...for those who may be interested, and have the time and inclination

I genuinely want to continue learning. Although this was moderated, can I please ask that those with differing views just hold your nose; there are a couple of forums that trigger me, but I keep quiet and live and let live.

M

Member496333

I am disappointed Jim, that you even had to have this statement, it really should not be required:

...for those who may be interested, and have the time and inclination

I genuinely want to continue learning. Although this was moderated, can I please ask that those with differing views just hold your nose; there are a couple of forums that trigger me, but I keep quiet and live and let live.

Indeed. Some folk just enjoy juvenile sniping and are unwilling or just plain unable to engage in the actual conversation. But hey ho, we can't all get along all the time. I'm here to share information and learn from that shared by others, not to make friends.

Anyway that's enough of all that. I hope some people find the podcast interesting.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I'm here to share information and learn from that shared by others, not to make friends.

Awhh and I thought we were getting on so well. Actually your intent may not have been to make any friends here but I think never the less you have.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Walking Girl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OMG what a painful waste of time. Dr. Saladino may not want his podcast to be an echo chamber, but that’s all it ever will be if he never actually shuts up and listens. For anyone who doesn’t have time to waste, it was 30 minutes of introductions followed by 1 hr and 15 minutes of Dr. Saladino interrupting, cutting off, over talking and then, just for fun, changing the topic when Cyrus was actually getting to a point.

An actual debate would have been fun. This soliloquy, not so much.

M

Member496333

OMG what a painful waste of time. Dr. Saladino may not want his podcast to be an echo chamber, but that’s all it ever will be if he never actually shuts up and listens. For anyone who doesn’t have time to waste, it was 30 minutes of introductions followed by 1 hr and 15 minutes of Dr. Saladino interrupting, cutting, over talking and then, just for fun, changing the topic. An actual debate would have been fun. A soliloquy, not so much.

I will partially agree with you there. He was uncharacteristically animated at some points during the podcast. He's usually much more restrained. But to be fair, he is to be applauded for even inviting those guys on the show, as it seems they have been attacking him in their book. I'm not really familiar with the details of that, though. In the end, I found the actual content most interesting, but each to their own :D

PS. I am biased though because I have a man-crush on him :oops::hilarious:

Last edited by a moderator:

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
PS. I am biased though because I have a man-crush on him
Lol, I'm the exact opposite - I find him smarmy and get that greasy, used-car salesman vibe from him. Something about him just irks me, though I've tried to give him extra chances to convince me to trust him, I just can't get past the initial perception. And much like Attia, Rogan and others who have to drag their interviews out for hours at a time, I find if you can't get your point across in a succinct way without all the self-aggrandizement, I can't maintain my interest. He has some great guests and I do try every so often, but even people who he agrees with, he talks over. So, it's a girly creep vibe from me :D

M

Member496333

Lol, I'm the exact opposite - I find him smarmy and get that greasy, used-car salesman vibe from him. Something about him just irks me, though I've tried to give him extra chances to convince me to trust him, I just can't get past the initial perception. And much like Attia, Rogan and others who have to drag their interviews out for hours at a time, I find if you can't get your point across in a succinct way without all the self-aggrandizement, I can't maintain my interest. He has some great guests and I do try every so often, but even people who he agrees with, he talks over. So, it's a girly creep vibe from me :D

Yeah I can see how me might rub off that way on some people. I just see an infectious enthusiasm for life and an unbelievable level of knowledge. Always listen to every podcast episode and always come away with more answers and more questions. Fuels my thirst for knowledge. There's also an obvious and inescapable element of confirmation bias, since he's a staunch advocate of my chosen dietary path. I guess whatever floats one's boat :D

I still say top marks to him for taking on his rivals in a public forum (2 vs. 1) and parting in a friendly manner.

Reactions: Indy51