1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

PCOS, Eating Disorders and Diabetes

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by LittleWolf, Jul 3, 2013.

1. LittleWolf

LittleWolf · Well-Known Member

I just found this article...

I myself had anorexia/bulimia, am apparently diabetic and was found to have Polycystic Ovary Syndrome last year. My situation seemed to run like the article described

-Put on a lot of weight at puberty (possible PCOS onset)
    -Subsequently freaked out and starved/purged, having hypoglycemic episodes then craving/binging on sugar then purging again through my teens
    -Had a lot of reactive glycemia and now frank hyperglycaemia at 20

I think this may explain a lot of young female T2s at normal weight or under. (and want GPs to consider this instead of ruling out all non obese young women for T2) I'm sure the patterns of erratic eating would mess up one's metabolism anyway even without PCOS instigating, exacerbating and being exacerbated by the crazy eating.

So how many of you had / have an eating disorder and/or PCOS and what do you think it had to do with your diabetes? I think my PCOS only showed its head(apart from the weight gain at puberty and struggle to lose it) once I hit normal weight range, which is the point my periods went from just absent when I was underweight to erratic and hugely heavy when they did come.

I never got any follow up when my PCOS was found. It was through self testing I found odd blood sugar levels... I think all PCOS sufferers should get screened for diabetes (seeing as it is accepted as coming with insulin resistance) and anyone recovering from an eating disorder should have their metabolic/pancreatic function checked. Makes sense if you have dangerous eating patterns, no? Kind of a no brainer?

Please do share your experiences...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

2. Elc1112

Elc1112 · Well-Known Member

I have type 1 diabetes and was diagnosed with PCOS in my early twenties. I suffered from an eating disorder when I was a teenager. The insulin (and probably the undianosed PCOS) meant that it was very difficult for me to lose weight. My weight kept creeping up and, to combat it, I started restricting my calories.

So, the eating disorder came before the PCOS diagnosis but they were both still evident.

Interesting article!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook