Peanut butter carb mystery...help!?

carb-counting-mum

Have sent Sainsbury's an email re. the supposed carb content of their value range crunchy peanut butter. Carbs as stated on the back: 3.9g per 100g. I thought it was suspiciously low, compared to other brands, so I emailed them. I did this so nobody makes the same mistake as I did - I was slapping on this peanut butter on my daughter's sandwich thinking it is very low in carbs. Sainsbury's just come back to me saying they double checked with their experts and it is indeed 3.9g per 100 gram. How can this be? The main ingredients are 87% roasted peanuts (other ingredients: rapeseed oil, sugar, palm oil, salt). I reckon this means it should have roughly about 15g of carbs per 100g? Before I email them back, I just thought I'd check on here, don't want egg on my face!

erinkirby

Having had a look at some of the peanut butter entries on Weight Loss Resources (weightlossresources.co.uk) it would seem as though most peanut butters are between 9g and 12g of carbs per 100g. Can I just check....are you sure you're not reading the carb value per serving rather than per 100g on the packaging? I'm guessing not, given that you've emailed them and they've confirmed it's per 100g but just thought I'd check! 3.9g does seem very low, I agree.

carb-counting-mum

Hi,

Yes, it definitely states 3.9g per 100g (and 0.8g per 20g serving). Other brands vary from 10g-19g per 100g, so I think 3.9g cannot be accurate. 100g of this stuff contains 87g of roasted peanuts. A quick look online tells me 87g of peanuts contains (very) roughly 15 g of carbs... I think I will just email them again because I'm sure 3.9g can't be right.

Lynsay23

Hi,

I think you might be looking at the sugar content rather then the carbs. Had a look online and what I can find for sainsburys crunchy peanut butter it says carb content is 12.6g per 100g and sugar content is 3.9g per 100g.

carb-counting-mum

Nope, it definitely states: 3.9g carbohydrate per 100g (of which sugars 1.9g). It's Sainsbury's Basics Crunchy Peanut Butter 340g - I have the jar right in front of me.
I will have a look online to see if I can find the one you mentioned, if it is the same jar I can put it to Sainsbury's that they are quoting 2 entirely different nutritional values for the same product.

carb-counting-mum

Lynsay, just had a look and that one is not the same product (mine is the cheapie version). It also has 91% peanuts, rather than 87%. Tesco's value crunchy peanut butter is very similar in content (also 87% peanuts) and is 15.5g of carbs per 100g.
Have just found a link to the jar I have which also shows the 3.9g carbs per 100g:
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/#/sainsb ... _340g.html

Anyway, will email them again. I know it's only a minor thing, but it's bugging me now :think:

Lynsay23

I would email them again, i agree it seems unlikely that the values they give can be right. However if they are, I'll be very happy! Love peanut butter!

Out of interest have you been able to check BG before and after it to see what's happening?

carb-counting-mum

I have just emailed them. Yes, have tested her BG before and after every meal, but can't say she was ever skyhigh because of it, but then again she would only have had a teaspoon of the stuff, so maybe she had 4g of carbs rather than 0.8g as I initially thought - so not the end of the world. But if you had 2 slices (thickly spread) you could easily have 10g of carbs when you think it's only 2g or so.
I LOVE peanut butter too, luckily I don't have to watch the carbs for myself though!

iHs

Hi

I'm a big fan of Basics myself and buy quite a lot of the stuff..... tinned fruit, frozen stuff etc. The Basics peanut butter tastes really nice and spreads really easy on whatever. Not too sure about the carb content though as it is probably higher than is stated on the jar but will have a tsp tomorrow when my bg levels are below my target and see just how long it takes to elevate them with the peanut butter alone......

ewelina

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The same thing happened to me. I love jumbo salted peanuts and buy different brands. I was surprised that tesco brand contains much more carbs than other brands. I sent them an email and they called me back saying that the information on packet is correct. To be honest i dont believe them :) The best way to check its to eat them and test to see if you are high

AMBrennan

If I was to venture a guess, I'd say that the 87% "roasted peanuts" may not mean what you think it means - maybe they are using a different kind of peanut, or removing/not removing fibre, etc.

Eva9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I did the carb counting course we were told that peanuts didn't count as carbs as they were a protein. But I still count them as they always affect by BS

carb-counting-mum

Haven't heard back from Sainsbury's yet. But interestingly, my daughter's dietician mentioned nuts and said not to count the carbs in them...to treat them as 'free foods' effectively. Ditto with vegetables (except baked beans, in which case I am to count the sugar carbs only). Is this the general advice given? What about peas/sweetcorn, do you count those? I googled this but couldn't find too much info on it. Eva, you say nuts still affect your BS? Do others find this too? I keep a strict food diary for my daughter, so it should be easy enough to see if these foods affect her BS.

iHs

Hi

I did have a go at using Basics peanut butter to see just how high it would make my bg levels go but didnt into account that the 3.9g carb was per 100g weight so it didnt eat enough of it to have any real effect.

Regarding eating ready salted peanuts and cashews.... I always counted them and used them years ago as 10g exchanges. Vegetables are a different matter. Cabbages, brussels I dont count but broccoli I do and the same for frozen peas and green runner beans. Sweetcorn is fairly high in carb so you deffo need to count that. Everything with everything is all trial and error. Some people need insulin to deal with food and some wont. Bananas do very little to my bg levels but for most people eating a banana will make their bg levels go fairly high so they need to use insulin to eat them......

carb-counting-mum

Thanks iHs, I think that's exactly it - everyone is different so I will just have to wait and see how these foods affect her BS levels. I know dried fruits send her levels really high, bananas (small ones) seem to be fine, except when very ripe.

Geri

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stress and feeling exhausted.
Hi, just saw this thread - I use Whole Earth peanut butter which is 10g carbs per 100 gram. You would need alot of peanut butter to make up 10gms of carbs so I use this on toast and dont count it. However other brands have made my bs raise - especially SunPak Peanut butter.
I had also been taught that nuts are free foods and as I carb count they are a munching staple. Im now going to check the carb value!

JConnor

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nothing really useful to add tho when pregnant my diabetic nurse told me to eat peanut butter on toast for breakfast, didn't give it much thought as to sugar content at time as she advised it

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

bmorgen

Nuts are free carbs - low glycemic load. Not corn. But chick peas are good. You can make a delicious paste with chickpeas called hummus. Just put drained into the blender with garlic, lemon, tahini, olive oil and salt. Optional chill. Blend smooth. Now I say they are free carbs but they are definitely not calorie free!