Pearl barley

BARRE037FE

Every where I read, says barley is good for diebetic's, saying it good for controlling blood sugars. I'm type 2, this morning I my reading was 4.5 after having some pearl barley porridge. My reading went to 10, have I been reading the advice wrong,

Finsky

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Well...unfortunately barley is source of carbohydrates that will raise blood sugar levels...how much, is down to individual response, how much you eat per portion and what you eat with it to slow its effects.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Every where I read, says barley is good for diebetic's, saying it good for controlling blood sugars. I'm type 2, this morning I my reading was 4.5 after having some pearl barley porridge. My reading went to 10, have I been reading the advice wrong,
Don't think I'd recommend Pearl Bailey at all. Carbs.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A few years ago I made a pearl barley risotto as I missed my Italian risotto - I had a worse reaction to that than anything else including a couple of slices of pizza - my bs rose to 13 when my reading were normally between 4.5 and 6 - never touched it since - I do eat small amounts of rice and potato and burgen bread - I can also tolerate a small portion of porridge but the barley was the work of the devil - I actually struggle with pulses as well - some say humus is fine - even the word pushes my bs up - it's all about testing to see what works for you - different things do different things to different people

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can eat pearl barly, a small hand full in a mass of mixed veg made into a stir fry..lovely .. If it was in a porridge..it would give you about a dessert spoon ..so not going to be very filling !
Edit to add .... Just count the full carb content as you would everything else food wise ... (Did spend quite a long time looking for the carb content on a kitchen roll !)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes virtually all grains are carbs and converted to glucose. Some affect some people more than others so the meter will tell you. Whole grains and light cooking of them will keep them low-GI and hence smooth absorption. I have my oats as muesli rather than cooked porridge for example and raw carrots not cooked.