Pedi and foot care

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
After my first check with the DSN a few days ago I'm thinking of buying myself a Pedi.

I've browsed eBay and Amazon and so far found 2 that I think may be suitable. They are:

1. SCHOLL Velvet Smooth Diamond Pedi Electric Hard Skin Remover at £21.35 on Amazon

2. SCHOLL Velvet Smooth Diamond Pedi Extra Course Power Hard Skin Remover at £20.95 on Amazon

On eBay they are cheaper again

Does anyone use one? How good are they? What would you recommend?

Thank You :)

Reactions: 2 people

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
just my personal view but I wouldn't use an electric foot product on my feet.

I use a foot file which is very gentle in removing dead skin

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My none diabetic friend used an electric one and it burnt her foot, like one of those Chinese burns you used to get as a kid but far bigger! It was very painful and she was of work for at least a couple of week - stay clear! A gentle foot file or pumice stone with hard skin softener there are some suitable for diabetics

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My none diabetic friend used an electric one and it burnt her foot, like one of those Chinese burns you used to get as a kid but far bigger! It was very painful and she was of work for at least a couple of week - stay clear! A gentle foot file or pumice stone with hard skin softener there are some suitable for diabetics

Blimey :eek: I didn't realise they could burn the soles of your feet :wideyed: The one's I was looking at require batteries to operate so presumably they'd be safe? :confused:

Maybe I should look at one of those "Ped Eggs" if that's what they're called? . . . .

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's the ones I mean the battery ones, the pedeggs are a little better as you have more control over speed and pressure, but they can still damage your feet if you grate normal skin. It's your choice and if you have no problems with your feet maybe it would be ok, me personally would stick to emery files and pumice stone

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @tigerlily72

now that somebody else has replied as well I am feeling bolder.:D

please don't use a ped egg -- they can take off far too much without you realising.

foot care is paramount for us D's and the softly softly gentle way is really the only way.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

@tigerlily72 Step away from the electric cheese graters! :stop:

Agreeing with the posters above, my podiatrist says soak feet in warm water, gentle pumice stone, dry thoroughly, moisturise, check feet daily. Check water temperature with a thermometer if you have any neuropathy.

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
just my personal view but I wouldn't use an electric foot product on my feet.

I use a foot file which is very gentle in removing dead skin

I use a basic foot file too, was advised to use this by my chiropodist friend who said diabetics should always be in control of how much pressure was exerted to remove dry skin and advised against anything mechanical. You can buy them cheaply in most chemists shops

Reactions: 4 people

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So, the consensus seems to be a manual foot file / pumice stone then. There is absolutely no problem at all with my feet and I thought it would be a good gadget to get but obviously not so now I'm diabetic :(

Reactions: 4 people

poohtiggy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Getting old and diabetese
I was buying shoes recently & have a raised innersole made for by the NHS Podiatrist, it's meant to straiten hammer toes. Anyway the assistant was asking about it & I said I was diabetic & had to be careful with my feet. I don't mean to scare but she said her uncle had just lost two toes due to an infection caused by using a Ped Egg personally I use a Scholl foot file which I think was about £1.50
Better safe than sorry

Reactions: 5 people

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dr Bernstein said on one of his webinars that in his clinical experience almost all foot problems in diabetics begin with "over-enthusiastic" attempts to remove dead skin. You would probably be better off with regularly moisturising your feet to keep them soft and supple.

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Dr Bernstein said on one of his webinars that in his clinical experience almost all foot problems in diabetics begin with "over-enthusiastic" attempts to remove dead skin. You would probably be better off with regularly moisturising your feet to keep them soft and supple.
Agree. If you have areas of dead skin these can cause issues through cracking, so you might want to see a podiatrist to get them removed safely. After that it should be easy to keep your feet soft through moisturising, and light filing when needed.