Pedometers

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Hi everyone, I am a T2 diabetic and use walking as my exercise but does anyone know of any good and ACCURATE pedometers that are recommended, many thanks, Debra xx

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Not sure the words accurate and pedometer actually go together that well ?

If you were to put one on your belt it should in theory count each step that you take. However having used some cheap ones you only have to move them a fraction and they register it as a step !!! You can take a walk whilst sitting still........ :?

The best and I think most accurate one I ever had was a Yamax brand......(Google it) apparently they are supposed to have some sort of 'anti shock mechanism' which is supposed to be more accurate. Seemed to work well in practice although I must admit I never took the time to count independently whilst using one. I just trusted it.

I don't think ANY can possibly be 100% accurate......due to the nature of the simple mechanism.

Maistan

I often use my Ipod nano and download the data to my laptop and it lets you organise various challenges depending on how many steps you take, really motivational
but
Nike also do a Nike Plus - it is aimed at jogging but there is a walking mode which I use and it lets you know how many miles you walk, your time , your speed and calories burned. The one I have goes around my wrist and there is sensor attached to your shoe but you can get a sensor to go inside a nike trainer and an attachment to your Ipod - once you have finished your walk you download your data and you can track you progress and set up challenges with other walkers world wide - would not be without mine now

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As for accuracy...I am a coach driver and my latest mobile phone has one built in. I wear it in a case attached to my belt on my right hand side. It appears everytime I change gear it counts a step since when I finish work I have often covered well over 1000 steps and haven't walked anywhere hardly!! :lol:
Regards
Angie

Squadron Leader

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Religion
Donald Trump
I run a walking group in London as a volunteer and we use SILVA pedometers to encourage people to increase their activity levels. They clip to your waistband, have a lanyard for extra security and you have to take 6 steps before it starts counting. (It does add those 6 steps to the total.)

I believe the basic model costs around £14.

The only other pedometer I've ever used was so trigger happy, breathing in and out seemed to count as two steps!

Klair

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Many thanks to everyone who replied, I think I will just go for a walk and time it, Debra x

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
Does it matter if it is accurate? I mean, if you use the same inaccurate device one day and register 1,000 steps then use it again the next day and register 2,000 steps, then you can still be fairly sure you have doubled your steps.

spideog

As others have said they are very inaccurate. If you've got a smart phone then that may well have GPS built in though and you can get various applications installed on those that will track your distance pretty accurately.

There are of course plenty of very fancy and expensive sports watches that will track your distance, pace, heart rate and all sorts of other pointless information. But I don't think there is any need for one of those for your needs.

anniep

Fencer said:
Does it matter if it is accurate? I mean, if you use the same inaccurate device one day and register 1,000 steps then use it again the next day and register 2,000 steps, then you can still be fairly sure you have doubled your steps.

When I tried using a pedometer the same one woudl give different readings on the sam distance at different times - I tried a few and gave up.

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
anniep said:
Fencer said:

When I tried using a pedometer the same one woudl give different readings on the sam distance at different times - I tried a few and gave up.

lol, OK... inaccurate in that sense is a waste of time.

Fencer

Dislikes
Tomatoes. Mayo.
I'm currently trying out Cradio Trainer on Andriod. Seems very good. Tracks distance, steps, time, calories... Allows you to share to Facebook and save to the servers. I think I'll purchase it when the trial period is over ($9.99).

spideog

Fencer said:
I'm currently trying out Cradio Trainer on Andriod. Seems very good. Tracks distance, steps, time, calories... Allows you to share to Facebook and save to the servers. I think I'll purchase it when the trial period is over ($9.99).
I've a specific Garmin watch myself, but I believe that the RunKeeper app for both Android and iPhone is still available for free. It was free for January anyway and it will track you via GPS and upload stats to the web as well.