1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Peeler99 asks - Is swim an steam room good for me?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by DCUKMod, Feb 25, 2018.

1. DCUKMod

DCUKMod I reversed my Type 2 · Master
    Staff Member Administrator

Our member, @Peeler is having a few problems logging on to join in with us, so has asked me to post this on his behalf. Hopefully he'll be able to reply shortly, but here we go:

Peeler99 asks:

"I AM A TYPE ONE DIABETIC FOR 40 YEARS. I GO SWIMMING TWICE A WEEK. NOT FIT TO DO A LOT BUT LOVE
    THE STEAM ROOM FOR A MAXIMUM OF 10 MINUTES AFTER EACH SESSION. IS IT GOOD FOR BAD FOR ME ?"

Peeler99's profile can be found here, forr some additional information: https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/members/peeler99.289568/

Thanks guys

2. Deleted Account

Deleted Account · Guest

I have seen advice that steam rooms are not suitable for people with diabetes. However, when I looked into It, all I could find was risk that you wouldn't notice a hypo so I have continued steaming with no obvious negative side effects.

• Like Like x 1
  3. sally and james

sally and james Family member · Well-Known Member

If you put "steam room" into the search facility a number of things come up, including all the people "letting off steam", but that's the nature of searches. The discussion I remembered was from 2014, https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/sauna-jacuzzi.59809/#post-568352 and, while I had seen a notice in our local gym/sauna/steam room set up about diabetics, it seemed to refer to potential foot injuries (purleeese, don't vulnerable diabetics own flip flops without nanny having to get involved), others referred to the heat causing potential hypos. Experienced insulin users adapt accordingly. So no problems if you allow for your own circumstances
    Sally

• Like Like x 1
  4. jayney27

jayney27 Type 2 (in remission!) · Well-Known Member

Hi, I regularly use the steam room at the pool where I swim and have also used hot tubs on weekend breaks with no adverse effect.

5. becca59

becca59 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Love a steam, sauna, jacuzzi and a pool. Had no problem with any of them. Am actually having more problems in this excessive cold.

6. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I've done Sweedish & Indian saunas along with steamers in the UK, with no adverse effects..
    Caution with regular BS checks Are advised, the activity can increase insulin sensitivity.

Relax & enjoy!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Redvee

Redvee Type 1 · Member

I've been to a sauna/spa place in London and saw advice notices regarding diabetes and made a note of the organisation at the bottom of the notice but when I returned home I couldn't find the website etc despite taking a picture of the url. I check my BS levels regularly so would notice hypo onset warning signs too.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook