1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, Sheffield University are conducting a study on food and activity logging among people with type 2 diabetes. Get involved here »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Pen users - do you forget?

Discussion in 'Diabetes Medication and Drugs' started by dizzydonkeys, Jun 23, 2017.

1. dizzydonkeys

dizzydonkeys Type 1 · Newbie

Anyone a pen user that forgets their doses? Common with the older generation, and probably for those newly diagnosed as its not yet 'normal'. I am looking for a few case studies to trial a product and answer a few generic questions for me. Any volunteers appareciated. Thanks

2. himtoo

himtoo Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

Insulchek and timesulin do pen reminders -- is this the sort of thing you are referring to ??

https://timesulin.com/

3. dizzydonkeys

dizzydonkeys Type 1 · Newbie

No not quite as complex as those.
    See attached (hopefully) is patented etc but been shelved due to old age, said would research with view to goi g to market.

Attached Files:

4. eventhorizon

eventhorizon Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I really can't see anybody using that box thing. Novopens come with a built in digital display which tells you the size and time since your last dose.

5. Old_Dave

Old_Dave Type 2 · Active Member

I use Timesulin to keep track of my NovaRapid and stop me overdosing or double dosing. The slow release is just based around mealtimes i.e. Breakfast / Dinner

6. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Expert

If I had more room in my prescription cupboard I'd use at home but not practical for my handbag.
    Housebound might benefit thou if no little hands to interfer.

7. Old_Dave

Old_Dave Type 2 · Active Member

My Novapens don't have any digital display at all - just the dosage dial however Timesulin gives me the time since I last injected and my meter can tell me the last dosage and all the others before it.

8. eventhorizon

eventhorizon Type 1 · Well-Known Member

9. hh1

hh1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sorry not to be supportive but whilst I'm thinking that I need a reminder system (I currently have nothing) this wouldn't work for me. When I'm working or out and about this would be of no use....

10. fletchweb

fletchweb Prefer not to say · Well-Known Member

Dosage isn't a problem but I did forget to give my final shot about a month or so ago - completely missed my Basal shot - figured it out in the morning when I found my pen still in my pants pocket (This marks twice in my life where I have forgotten to give my shot) once I gave the wrong insulin - accidentally injecting fast acting instead of my Basal - realized just after I did it and had to eat a night time big meal to prevent going in to hypo.
    But that's been about it - over the years I've been living with diabetes. Not bad I guess...

11. Monkey201

Monkey201 Type 2 · Member

Happy to volunteer ... 46 yo female stage 2 diabetic on insulin past 2-3 years, use Humapen with no auto-reminder. Also have ME, so have set up my own reminder system using once (was twice) same time of day (morning) with a daily manual tick off amount/date paper slip kept inside case. Have only missed about 3 doses since started using my pen.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook