People who mix Levemir

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
Does anyone know the reason why you can't mix Levemir with Novorapid. I actually know many people who are doing this and some who did it in the past but then stopped. I don't mix but this means my son gets 2 extra pricks a day. On a 2 year old there is a limited amount of injections sites and I don't want to wear them out. I am unable to use his tummy to inject at present as I can't hold him still enough in that position. I tend to use the front of thigh and hip fat area. I am using pens to inject which require me to wait for 10 seconds or so and using a syringe and mixing would make this procedure faster and reduce the number of injections by 730 per year.

Any thoughts?
Jen

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
im no expect on kids at all. but this is just a thought...

would a pre-mixed insulin like Mixtard30 work better for you in this case? Twice daily injections then...

Only downfall with this insulin from personal experience is that is requires a routine life style and snacks between meals.

Is that something worth thinking about? Still uses a novopen but would reduce injects to just two a day.

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I suppose my son's doctors and I also don't really want to mess with something that is working well.
We don't have any major hypo/hyper problems. I'm not really sure on how many regimes there is for kids but I think giving a premix would be dangerous for kids because they refuse food or need a long sleep etc... I quite often give him his novorapid after he has eaten to know how much to give him. I also have to use half units and many pens (here in Australia) are only available in disposable pens that only use whole units. He weighs about 12 kg and half a unit of novorapid is going to drop his bs about 15 mml. The premix sounds like a great idea but I think that would be something to look forward to when he is an adult. We most definitely have a routine lifestyle.

Anyway, I still hope to hear from someone who knows why Levemir can't be mixed. If I don't find out before the next clinic I'll ask then and post the info.

Jen.

Geoff

Hi Jen, I picked up this info of the Diabetes Monitor web site

"If Levemir is mixed with other insulin preparations the profile of action of one or both individual components will change. Mixing Levemir with a rapid acting insulin analogue like insulin aspart, results in an action profile with a lower and delayed maximum effect compared to separate injections. Therefore, mixing of rapid acting insulin with Levemir should be avoided."

I hope this helps with your question?

Stuboy

Dislikes
Crowds. Being high. Being Hypo.
I guess you're right! It was just a thought that was all, thought i'd throw it out there :)

If you need half units... the Novopen Junior gives half units, i guess you might already be using it but if not... worth a try! I use it for the smaller doses as well...