Periods of high blood sugars with no explanation

pinewood

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. Hope you are all keeping safe and well.

Over the last week I've been struggling with high blood sugars. I have increased my nightly basal Tresiba from 17 units to 22 units (which has not yet had any impact) and my NovoRapid ratios have tripled (i.e. a typical meal that would require 4 units of NovoRapid now needs 12+ units).

What's worrying me is that there is no explanation. I am not ill (as far as I'm aware) and I am still exercising the same amount. I've switched to new vials of insulin and new injection sites. Still no luck. My partner was ill last week and we were worried it was COVID-19 but the tests were negative so it must have just been a cold/flu - I was worried I'd catch it but touch wood I have been OK so far (unless I caught it and am asymptomatic - in that case could it still impact my blood sugars?).

This period of higher insulin needs with no explanation has happened to me many times before and I always come crashing back to normal eventually but I never understand why it happens.

Is it just "one of those things"? Anyone else experience this? I always worry it could mean something sinister like an infection I am not aware of, or cancer, or something similarly terrible. I hope I get back to "normal" soon and that this is not my "new normal"!

TypeZero.

Same thing happened to me but mine makes some sense as I’m newly diagnosed so I’m just coming to the end of my honeymoon.

Why don’t you do basal testing? The reason you may be using more NovoRapid may be because your basal is not at a correct level so you keep using NovoRapid to correct your BG

cz_dave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone. Hope you are all keeping safe and well.

Over the last week I've been struggling with high blood sugars. I have increased my nightly basal Tresiba from 17 units to 22 units (which has not yet had any impact) and my NovoRapid ratios have tripled (i.e. a typical meal that would require 4 units of NovoRapid now needs 12+ units).

What's worrying me is that there is no explanation. I am not ill (as far as I'm aware) and I am still exercising the same amount. I've switched to new vials of insulin and new injection sites. Still no luck. My partner was ill last week and we were worried it was COVID-19 but the tests were negative so it must have just been a cold/flu - I was worried I'd catch it but touch wood I have been OK so far (unless I caught it and am asymptomatic - in that case could it still impact my blood sugars?).

This period of higher insulin needs with no explanation has happened to me many times before and I always come crashing back to normal eventually but I never understand why it happens.

Is it just "one of those things"? Anyone else experience this? I always worry it could mean something sinister like an infection I am not aware of, or cancer, or something similarly terrible. I hope I get back to "normal" soon and that this is not my "new normal"!
Is it a crazy idea to think that this could be stress related?