Periods of uncontrollable highs or lows why?

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So for quite a white now I have been having episodes where my BGL seem to cycle let me explain:

2-3weeks of everything perfect (time in target around 65-75%)
THEN
a period of uncontrollable highs or uncontrollable lows

Things then seem to settle back down.

These out of control periods can last anything from 1 day to 1 week plus, there is just no pattern or reason I can find for the out of control patterns to happen.

The above was one of the reasons that my Drs changed me to MDI so that when things went up and down the doses could be tweeked to match, it's not really working though.

Does anyone know why this happens and how to prevent it?

Reactions: Levy

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
What you have described is my average day. One would think it would be easy to fix a broken body part. The issue with insulin is there are so many interdependencies. I suspect the liver is the biggest cause of grief for T1's, followed by eating, digestive tract, exercise then the brain (Stress etc), that most probably annoys one of the previously mentioned organs. There are few lucky people here, but I know I only get 20% of time within limits, 60% high and 20% low is my norm. A pump does a lot to assist and those stats improve week by week for me now I'm on a pump.

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So for quite a white now I have been having episodes where my BGL seem to cycle let me explain:

2-3weeks of everything perfect (time in target around 65-75%)
THEN
a period of uncontrollable highs or uncontrollable lows

Things then seem to settle back down.

These out of control periods can last anything from 1 day to 1 week plus, there is just no pattern or reason I can find for the out of control patterns to happen.

The above was one of the reasons that my Drs changed me to MDI so that when things went up and down the doses could be tweeked to match, it's not really working though.

Does anyone know why this happens and how to prevent it?
You've just described exactly my life! I wish I knew why or when this would happen, but like you I'm completely in the dark and it's so frustrating!

Especially because you know you can have those really good days and then those periods come where it just won't react the same way.

I'm currently going through a "low" period

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hi @O_DP_T1 - there are often multiple factors that can affect glucose levels and management of them. One of the things we've learned from running the DIY AP systems is that sensitivity and ratios tend not to be constant and that the numbers we use are generally averages.

Factors that can affect all of these are stress, exercise, hormones, sleep, insulin absorption at a site, time food takes to absorb (which can be affected by the type of food and how our gut microbiome works with it....), and the list goes on.

All you can really do is to take a step back and look at the big picture of when these things have happened to see if there is anything you can see that are broader themes. It's not all that straightforward, but the only approach you have is record, review and then react. And part of that react is to identify when the maelstrom of events that lead to the earlier issues is happening again and take action earlier.

Reactions: EllieM

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers guys glad to know I'm not the only one going through this 'roller-coaster'. I was going through the 'high phase' all weekend and last night BANG lows all night.

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just downloaded a "mood tracker" app which I'm going to use to colour code my days to say whether they've been normal, high, or low.
As @tim2000s said, maybe it will show some sort of pattern even though I haven't been able to see any so far.
It's very hard to determine because sometimes it lasts days, sometimes over a week, and it just seems to come and go as it pleases!

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's very hard to determine because sometimes it lasts days, sometimes over a week, and it just seems to come and go as it pleases!

Yep exactly this ^^^^ thing is it really annoys me and I'm sure family around me can feel me getting p1ssed off even though I try and keep it inside, tbh for anything over an 8.5 is a NO NO and I start getting annoyed.

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yep exactly this ^^^^ thing is it really annoys me and I'm sure family around me can feel me getting p1ssed off even though I try and keep it inside, tbh for anything over an 8.5 is a NO NO and I start getting annoyed.
Haha I'm sure my husband is the same whenever I do a check and shout "Omg why?!?! I HAVEN'T DONE ANYTHING" at my phone

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
That of course is the other side to living with T1D. There are times when everything you throw at it will just not work. So you have to learn to shrug, say whatever you need to to yourself and start again. That's life with T1D unfortunately.

Ultimately it's not worth chastising yourself over the highs or stressing yourself out. It doesn't help.

Reactions: EllieM and Levy

Levy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That of course is the other side to living with T1D. There are times when everything you throw at it will just not work. So you have to learn to shrug, say whatever you need to to yourself and start again. That's life with T1D unfortunately.

Ultimately it's not worth chastising yourself over the highs or stressing yourself out. It doesn't help.
Good advice. It's hard for me at the moment, because I've spent so long in denial and not looking after myself as well as I should, that now I'm FINALLY getting on top of things with my Libre I feel like every time I go out of range I'm a failure or I'm not trying hard enough

O_DP_T1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Sometimes I find this to be the hard part, because you know the stress may end up making you go even higher so it's like a catch 22 especially if the highs last over a day or 2.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Good advice. It's hard for me at the moment, because I've spent so long in denial and not looking after myself as well as I should, that now I'm FINALLY getting on top of things with my Libre I feel like every time I go out of range I'm a failure or I'm not trying hard enough
That's also a tricky one, and really demonstrates that you care. It's hard not to. On the other hand, if you're spending 90% of time within the 70-180 mg/dl (3.8-10 mmol/l) range, it's also not so bad.

It just takes time to get comfortable.

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can totally relate to this. I eat generally at same time each, pretty much the same carbs, for a few days all is OK next few days I am high, a few days later I am low. Frustrates the life out of me.

Just when you think you have T1 sussed and the correct amount of insulin to take this happens Grrrrrrrrr