Peripheral Neuropathy

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
I have posted on here regarding burning sensation in my hand and have found out since that it is due to peripheral neuropathy which is damage to the nervous system often caused by diabetes. I wondered how many others are suffering with this and if there is anything that can be done to help in lessening the symptoms?

connie104

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have this in my left leg. I have my BG under control and last habc1 was 6 so all good. My consultant has told me it wont get better and I am under the pain clinic at the hospital to try and find a drug that helps with the pain . I take oxicodone 40 mg twice a day this is a opioid based pain killer so very strong and side effect are causing drowsiness so I spend a lot of my time asleep !

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I had it, in my left hand and slightly on my left side.

Once I cut back on the carbs it went away took 2 or 3 weeks of very low carbs.
Over Xmas when I 'forgot' about carbs it came back in two fingers on my left hand.

I can only assume for me, there is a connection between what I eat and the feelings in my fingers.

I have read somewhere that hands are the easiest to repair, but I cant remember where I saw it so have nothing to back that up with.

I am hoping that with extra weight loss this year I will make a full recovery. I would say I am 90% better and if I had stayed on duty over December would possibly be fine now. I haven't done the very low carbs this year yet but I am still low.

Cara

Reactions: 2 people

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I had it, in my left hand and slightly on my left side.

Once I cut back on the carbs it went away took 2 or 3 weeks of very low carbs.
Over Xmas when I 'forgot' about carbs it came back in two fingers on my left hand.

I can only assume for me, there is a connection between what I eat and the feelings in my fingers.

I have read somewhere that hands are the easiest to repair, but I cant remember where I saw it so have nothing to back that up with.

I am hoping that with extra weight loss this year I will make a full recovery. I would say I am 90% better and if I had stayed on duty over December would possibly be fine now. I haven't done the very low carbs this year yet but I am still low.

Cara

Thanks for the replies...
Cara.. that's just the info that I needed. I have been on a low carb diet for the last 18months which has helped me to lose some weight but just recently due to having been hospitalised I haven't been keeping to it. I shall get back to it a.s.a.p. now I know that it should help.

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi Foxglove

I am happy to help if I can
I think weight loss is the key but eating what we have always eaten can be a hard habit to break.

I am very fond of courgette ribbons instead of pasta and I buy about 3 or 4 cauliflowers a week!

Cara

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi Foxglove

I am happy to help if I can
I think weight loss is the key but eating what we have always eaten can be a hard habit to break.

I am very fond of courgette ribbons instead of pasta and I buy about 3 or 4 cauliflowers a week!

Cara

I have to admit that lowering my carbs didn't have very much affect Cara.. we're all different, aren't we?
However, went to my doc about it and he prescribed amitriptyline which I find makes me extremely "spaced out". So I took a fraction of a tablet which made me sleep very well and helped the problem too although at this moment in time (8pm) the burning sensation is gradually returning.
I just cannot bare to be in that state for very long at a time so it's a case of being "between a rock and a hard place" as they say!