1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Perspiration When Eating

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Rachael96, May 5, 2022.

1. Rachael96

Rachael96 · Newbie

Hi All,

Does anyone else sweat when they eat food. I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when I was 14 and only started to sweat since the diagnosis. I only sweat in my head area, nowhere else and only when I chew food. It sounds really bizarre but just wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience? I have research this to try and find some answers and it says that it could be related to nerve damage, where the brain suspects you are physically active and responds by sweating to try and cool you down. I’m not allergic to any foods and have cut things out of my diet in case I have some sort of intolerance but I don’t. Can anyone help? Thanks x :)

• Like Like x 1
  2. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I sweat a bit with eating hot curry, or food that contains chillies.

It's one of the reasons that people who live in tropical asian countries eat a lot of curry as a method of cooling down.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Dark Horse

Dark Horse · Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  4. Robbity2

Robbity2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I sometimes - very rarely and also at other times - get a sudden and short sharp cold sweat while eating. It hasn't happened often enough to associate it with anything I'm eating or have eaten at the time though.

I've seen similar links on Google to the gustatory sweating link that @Dark Horse has posted. Google also has links to possible causes of sweating in diabetics, related to glucose levels.

5. Andydragon

Andydragon Type 2 (in remission!) · Moderator
    Staff Member

I know this is in the type 1 forums but it is something that impacts wider i suspect

Interestingly there are some foods that can cause a sweat response, @Riva_Roxaban mentions curries but another one of which is cheese

https://magazine.winerist.com/drink/are-cheese-sweats-a-thing

personally I get a runny nose quite often when I eat. Never really looked into why and just considered it one of my oddities :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. rosemaree

rosemaree LADA · Well-Known Member

My partner is not diabetic but he sweats like this when he eats fast food or restaurant food. We still can't figure out what it is about the food that causes it, he has tried various types of meals and it still happens, but it doesn't happen if we make the same meal at home. He did have a nerve related sweating issue when he was younger though, so the nerve idea does make some sense!

7. Riva_Roxaban

Riva_Roxaban Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I have this occasionally as well, it's only on certain foods which I cannot recall off hand are.

You are not alone.:D

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook