Petition to ask for lifelong medical exemption certificates for people with type 1

Lex_Ley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
People with type 1 are being fined over £100 by the NHS Business Services Authority for using out-of-date medical exemption certificates. There are no warnings, and many people are unaware that their certificate isn't renewed automatically. Someone has started a petition to ask for lifelong exemption certificates for people with type 1. Here's a link if you'd like to sign http://www.thepetitionsite.com/443/...diabetes-mellitus/?taf_id=13397573&cid=fb_na#

Reactions: 13 people

gillgiruad

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I think anyone with diabetes, whether controlled by medication or diet should be medically exempt for paying for prescription charges as it is a lifelong condition.

Reactions: 2 people

Andy_D85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Signed - it must be a real pain for all you guys in England that have to go through this =(. There's not many but being a Scottish Diabetic certainly has it's advantages! lol

Reactions: 5 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I think anyone with diabetes, whether controlled by medication or diet should be medically exempt for paying for prescription charges as it is a lifelong condition.

But if you are not taking any medication for it, and on diet alone, you shouldn't, I believe be exempt? Unless you have other medical conditions that require an exemption certificate.

dannyw

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If your diabetes is controlled by diet, what meds would you expect free ?

Reactions: 4 people

Dcooperxyz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear Lex,
I have also been fined and escalated my complaint to the CE at BSA. He has now written back in typical robotic style that the fine still stands. Like others I DID NOT receive a warning and have NEVER been asked to produce a certificate. I have just commented on the FB page

Lex_Ley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I saw this interesting post from another Facebook user with type 1 diabetes "I just got my BSA prescription fine waived and it appears it was illegal because one has to knowingly mislead the NHS - section 122 of the 1999 Act they're referring to and 194 of the NHS Act 2006. I've made Diabetes UK and Jamie Reed [Shadow Minister for Health] aware, and raised it with the diabetes lead for NHS England. Mine was waived because I've never been asked by a pharmacist to produce a certificate in 30 years of being type 1." I imagine this applies to many people.

Dcooperxyz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Diet only
Would it be possible to get a copy of the letter telling him the fine has been waived !?
As they are not normally waiving the fee . My complaint has gone through every level of complaint with the NHS bsa and they will not budge . I have no intention of paying though .

Lex_Ley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Would it be possible to get a copy of the letter telling him the fine has been waived !?
As they are not normally waiving the fee . My complaint has gone through every level of complaint with the NHS bsa and they will not budge . I have no intention of paying though .
I'll ask for more details