Phantom Hypos

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there, currently on Bydureon once a week injections for uncontrolled Type 2.

I used to take Gliclazide, and Pioglitazone, and I would occasionally get a hypo coming on. Nothing bad, I recognised the signs and dealt with it. The thing is, today in work I felt the exact feeling of a massive hypo, yet my sugars are currently in the high teens all of the time. This happened again tonight at home and I am really confused. I even tested my blood with different meters, and still in the high teens so it definitely wasn't a hypo but it felt exactly the same.

Very confused as to what this might be.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I'll 'bump' your post up. You can experience what they call False Hypo's when bg has been running high for a long time and then you suddenly lower them, but for this to be happening with bg in the 'high teens' I'm not too sure of (unless your bg was extremely higher beforehand), hopefully other type 2's will advise further.

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's been on an average of 17-19 pretty steady for the whole time I have been on the Bydureon injections, 7 weeks so far. It has spiked as high as 21 and has gone as low as 15. And was 16-ish when I felt unwell yesterday. Thanks for the info.

Feel fab today.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's been on an average of 17-19 pretty steady for the whole time I have been on the Bydureon injections, 7 weeks so far. It has spiked as high as 21 and has gone as low as 15. And was 16-ish when I felt unwell yesterday. Thanks for the info.

Feel fab today.

Sally, are you doing anything with your diet to try to bring those numbers down a bit?

Sallybear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi, yes I am. My carb intake is extremely low, I would imagine the only real intakes of sugar and carbs is my 1 piece of wholemeal toast in the morning, and my banana in the afternoon. I suffer from leg cramps terribly so really try to eat a banana everyday. I don't take sugar in drinks, and the only starchy carb I eat is rice, and that is only once or twice a week. Mostly meat/fish/eggs and salad or veg.

I drink a lot of water as I am constantly thirsty which doesn't help with cramp at all.