1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

PhD whey protein shakes

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by sammy1998, May 31, 2015.

1. sammy1998

sammy1998 Type 2 · Active Member

Has anyone tried PhD Whey protein shakes for weight loss? Not sure if they will be ok for a diabetic.

2. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Depends what you are using them for. Watch out for bg increases caused by them. Protein will do that with no carbs.

3. Della82

Della82 Type 1 · Member

I've just bought some of the PhD Diet Whey... I was going to use it as a protein supplement after running but I noticed you can use it as meal replacement too which I'm quite interested in. I'm only wanting to drop a stone but I thought it would be a good way to know exactly how many calories, carbs & fat I'm having in each meal without constantly weighing out my food (I carb count).
    I was going to do a bit more research to make sure it was safe but my idea was to replace Breakfast & Lunch then have a decent, healthy dinner (grilled chicken, small amount of wholemeal pasta & plenty of veg, for example).
    The Diet Whey contains CLA which I used prior to Diabetes (I'm Type 1, diagnosed at 27 years old) & it's good stuff for fat loss & muscle tone too.
    I'll do some more research & keep you posted :)

4. sammy1998

sammy1998 Type 2 · Active Member

I was going to use it as a meal replacement to help me lose weight. I'm on metformin, 3 a day. Does anyone know if it's ok with medication? Thanks for your replies.

5. tim2000s

tim2000s Type 1 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Not to put downer on it but there is little evidence that cla helps with significant fat loss. All of the studies show a significant effect but very little fat loss as a result.

Whey protein shakes to replace meals is very similar to the Newcastle diet. Personally, if you are not under an HCP doing the Newcastle approach I'd stick to low carb, average calories (work out your own protein mix, I lost weight on 45% protein,45% fat, 10% carbs).

Everyone is different of course!

6. uart

uart Type 1.5 · Well-Known Member

Ok I just had to post here, seeing as everyone else in this thread has a dog avatar. ;)

I haven't used that particular whey protein shake, but I do have a whey protein type shake that I use from time to time. I don' t use it as a meal replacement, but I do sometimes use it a bit of a between meal hunger buster. Yeah it's good because it's low carb, but like Tim said, the protein can can cause a bit of a BGL rise on it's own. (It's generally a slower rise than with carbs, as the liver steadily converts excess protein to glucose).

• Like Like x 2
  7. Scottsmith1993

Scottsmith1993 Type 1 · Newbie

Hi all I'm new to all this so bare with me I'm a type 1 diabetic have bin for 18 years and staring out at the gym with a personal trainer he's suggested I get a protein to have and I don't have a clue where to start I'm on an insulin pump doin carb counting if any one could shed some light on it for me it would be very helpful

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook