Phone sending false hypo texts.

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
Went to a circus show tonight with my 7 yr old While I was there I could feel my phone ringing time after time but couldn't view it or answer it as too noisy and in the middle of the show.When I came out I rang my wife who was beside herself.My phone had been sending SOS texts to her with my location on a Google map and saying it was an Emergency declaration and I was in need of assistance and I was having a hypo.
Infact I wasn't having a hypo and even when I got home my android was still sending distress texts to her.
Has anyone else got this set up on their phone and know how to turn it off as I vaguely remember setting something up to do this a good while ago and after tonight it seems more of a problem than a help?
I thought at point there may have been ambulances, paramedics etc as my wife was about to ring them thinking I was in trouble!

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
Sorted
There's a SAFETY ASSISTANCE function in the phones settings to alert a preset number with a message of your choice.
Sends a distress text if the volume up and down buttons are pressed simultaneously for 3 seconds.
Having lost a lot of weight in the last 6 months had tight jeans on so these buttons must have been pressed when the phone was squeezed into my pocket and moving around a lot in the swing of things during the performances
Now turned it off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry you didn't get a response on this
And very glad you got it sorted!

Your wife must haven terrified.

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
Yes she was at first having had a few hypos lately as its been a nightmare getting my lower insulin dosage adjusted to suit my new weight after losing 6 stones.

Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
There's a SAFETY ASSISTANCE function in the phones settings to alert a preset number with a message of your choice.
Sends a distress text if the volume up and down buttons are pressed simultaneously for 3 seconds.
I didn't know about that built in feature. I've installed various apps on my android phone to try to do the same thing. One thing those apps lack is that they don't work by pressing the physical buttons. You have to open the phone and click an icon, not ideal if you are in a bad hypo.
On the other hand, that button sequence is maybe too easy to trigger by mistake. At very least it would be good if you had to hold down buttons that were on opposite sides of the phone, instead of the same side.

buckmr2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Exercise
The safety assistance feature is in the settings (Galaxy Note 3) rather than an app.
I've turned it off to avoid having anymore false alerts especially as each of the numerous texts it sent is an MMS which isn't included on my plan unlike std SMS texts which are.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This SAFETY ASSISTANCE is really useful, because it can override your GPS, WiFi, and mobile data being disabled. I usually walk around with Wifi and GPS disabled. The other safety apps require me to manually change these settings in an emergency, not very realistic! So this is great. Thanks for pointing it out.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've turned it off to avoid having anymore false alerts especially as each of the numerous texts it sent is an MMS which isn't included on my plan unlike std SMS texts which are.
Ah. MMS texts don't work at all on my phone, no idea why. So that's a waste of time for me. Shame. Still I'm sure it will be useful for others.