Paiste

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being diabetic..
Aye oop,

I've just landed a smashing new job, however its through an employment agency so the contract is with them for 13 weeks. After this time the employer will decide to make me perm on a contract or not.
I've lied to both when filling out all the paperwork, i'm fit as a fiddle!! But i'm type 1 insulin controlled.. I'm a truly honest person, but dare not tell either cos i know i'll get the sack.. Its a nightmare situation.
suggestions?

sugar2

Hmmm, I think you are going to have to tell them...I would drop it into conversation with the people you are working for, rather than the agency. Did you actually tick NO to a question like "are you diabetic?" or was it more a "are you fit and healthy type of question? If it was the latter, I think you would be OK...I consider myself fit and healthy...but I am T1. If you said "No" to a direct question....not sure what to say about that really.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I would be inclined to tell the truth about your diabetes Paiste, as a insulin dependant diabetic it is important that your employer is aware of your condition in the event of a medical emergency.

Nigel

Sarah69

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anything healthy!
I have never told any job i am a diabetic because im sure they would think its more trouble than its worth.

Gappy

Dislikes
hypocrisy, prejudice and the corrupt legal system (never got compensation I deserved from an accident)
It is a catch 22, the old saying says honesty is the best policy but I beg to differ! As far as people knowing in case of an emergency then maybe a discreet jewellry or something as if worst came to the worst it's paramedics that need to know not workmates

Beav

Dislikes
Alcohol
When you do tell them just say its well controlled and I do regular testing with all meals. :)

~All the best

spideog

sugar2 said:
Hmmm, I think you are going to have to tell them...I would drop it into conversation with the people you are working for, rather than the agency. Did you actually tick NO to a question like "are you diabetic?" or was it more a "are you fit and healthy type of question? If it was the latter, I think you would be OK...I consider myself fit and healthy...but I am T1. If you said "No" to a direct question....not sure what to say about that really.
I've got myself mildly confused when asked the "are you fit and healthy" on occasion. The answer is always yes, but when asked by a dentist for instance just before they give me an anethestic I have to remember that that is not really what he's asking. He just wants to know what to do if I collapse in his chair. :lol:

As for a job, unless they asked you a question along the lines of "do you have any medical condition we need to know about?" and it was just am "are you fit and healthy?" general type question then the OP is fine. Assuming that they are fit in healthy of course.

viv1969

I agree with some of the comments above. Unless you answered NO to a direct question asking if you have diabetes, and yoou are indeed fit and well, then you haven't lied to anyone, and are under no legal obligation to inform them of your T1 status.

However it is a very subjective and personal matter, and if you yourself do not think you could settle without telling them, then by all means, tell them.

Good luck!! :)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I'd consider waiting to see if they're gonna take you on full time. After that, you can tell 'em you've just been diagnosed.

They can't fire you for getting diagnosed, can they?!? :twisted:

squeeze321

Dislikes
Hypos
Hi,

If you live in the UK, you have a legal obligation to tell your employer that you have Type 1 diabetes. I always put it on the application form (just in case I forget to mention it at the interview)! I always add that I'm well controlled and my diabetes is never an issue.

If you fail to tell your employer that you have Type 1 diabetes they can dissmiss you. I heard that this happened to someone with epilepsy who had a fit at work, no one knew what was wrong with him and he lost his job.

blonagael

Hi,

I know a lady who failed to tick the box which said have you ever suffered from depression?

She was sacked when they found out a while later.

But she got reinstated and they had to pay her back pay, after the union fought her case.

I don't know what the grounds were, but it didn't go to a tribunal.

I don't think you have a legal obligation to tell your employer. If that was true then they'd have to apply to see your medical records just like if you have a CRB check for some jobs.

The small print of your application form would be worth reading, just in case.
Good Luck,

bl

A

Anonymous

Well your employer certainly can't dismiss you on grounds of having diabetes as that would be outright discrimination and you could take them to the tribunal for that. When it comes to formally telling your employer, personally I don't think that is necessary as then they are required to get you assessed regularly, etc. for fitness for duty because you've told them. Although I think it's wise to tell your immediate boss and colleagues for safety reasons, especially if you're on insulin. I've told my boss and colleagues that I have diabetes and what to do if I'm having a bad hypo (to date they mostly can't tell I'm having one anyhow)... but I refuse to indicate I have a disability on my pay file. I'm not keen been forced to go for assessments for my employer... I have enough medical appointments of my own to attend.... and besides technically it's not their business unless I need them to do something for me.