Pinpoint my cause of type 2

sdgray22

Dislikes
Loud Music, Confrontations, blood and gore on the TV
I think I can pinpoint exactly what I did to cause my diabetes type 2. Over a couple of years I got addicted to a tropical fruit juice, obviously full of sugar I could drink easily a couple of full glasses every day. A 2 litre bottle lasted no time. Over 30 years I probably ate too much chocolate anyway but it was definitely the fruit juice that tipped the scales and my body obviously could not cope with it. It did not occur to me nor was I ever told by a health worker that too much sugary juice was bad for you. In fact I think I actually thought it was better than pop because it was fruit juice I certainly did not think it could hurt me. Why are there not more health warnings in big letters sayingt do not drink sugary drinks. Just for example a mother I know feeds her children sunny d by the glassfull because it is healthy its from fruit!!!
Is this a likely scenario or am I completely wrong about what I think caused this?

Fraddycat

Some would say that your craving for sugary drinks was in fact a symptom of impaired glucose tolerance and not a cause. A couple of years ago you probably started to suffer from Impaired Glucose Tolerance (IGT) which means that your body could no longer turn glucose into fuel as efficiently as it used to. You would have felt fatigue and a craving to consume more sugar. Your body could not process the sugar so you will have been going to the toilet more, so that your body can expell that sugar and as a result you will have been drinking more water. All of these are actually symptoms of what is probably a genetic impairment in your body.

Its very easy to blame yourself when you are first diagnosed, I know I certainly did, but there is no benefit - society can be very judgemental so try not to judge yourself too harshly. And remember its not about how you got here, its about what you do now that counts!

(the reason there are no warnings on the fruit juices, and juice type drinks is because the companies make huge amounts of money selling them to us, and they use that money to influence government - look at the labelling scandal a few years ago, Tesco refused to put traffic light labels on their food even though the Gvt insisted - because Tesco is even more powerful than Gvt. Its scary and much worse in the US I think)

sterling

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Long before my diabetes diagnosis in January 2012, I had used the Atkins diet and my diet was generally low-carbish. But critically, I had a taste for orange juice which I returned to from time to time. I could easily drink a litre carton in one go.

I agree now that the juice drinking was a symptom of diabetes (not a cause).

We are all educated that juice is healthy. In fact, there was an old American (Jack LaLanne) on the TV shopping channels who sold a juicer and claimed that it was the juice that had brought about his long and healthy life (obviously not a diabetic!)

It is quite a victory that after 13 months I am sleeping through the night without visiting the toilet even once. I might have woken up six times a night beforehand. And my water consumption is at least as high as my juice consumption. And weight is down from over 16 to 13 stone.