Pioglitazone Not Available?

steamwolf

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've just had a letter from my surgery informing me that "Pioglitazone is no longer available for us to issue". I've had a look on the NICE web site, and its not been dis-approved by them, so I'm at a loss (well sort of) as to why this drug has been removed from my medication, especially as after my Hba1c test in Sept/October it we recommended that I INCREASE the daily dose. My latest Hba1c test, from 18th December shows an 'Improving' blood sugar level.
I have been offered NO explanation as to why pioglitazone has been removed, and I have not been offered any alternative like rosiglitazone. My suspicious mind is thinking that this is a cost cutting measure!
What do others think?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
The glitazone family of drugs is now generally deprecated as it has some known bad side-effects for some. It does do a good job I gather for diabetes but when I was offered it a few years back by my GP I refused due to it's water retention side effects and she put me on Sitagliptin which is generally safe, but with side-effects for a very few. It sounds like NICE needs to make a clear decision on this.