1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2018 »
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Plant-based diet improves insulin sensitivity in obese adults without diabetes

Discussion in 'Diabetes News' started by DCUK NewsBot, Feb 14, 2018.

1. DCUK NewsBot

DCUK NewsBot · Well-Known Member

Overweight adults with no history of diabetes had improved insulin sensitivity and beta cell function after eating a plant-based diet, researchers reveal. The study, published in the journal Nutrients, recruited 75 participants and randomised them either to a low-calorie, plant-based diet or to make no dietary changes for 16 weeks. The scientists at Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine, a non-profit research organisation in Washington, measured participants' pancreatic beta cell function (the cells which produce insulin) before the study began and at 16 weeks, to assess their insulin sensitivity. The plant-based diet followed by participants was based on vegetables, fruit, whole grains and legumes. Meanwhile, the control group made no dietary changes; and neither group altered their exercise or medication regimens. The researchers determined that a plant-based diet increased insulin sensitivity at meal times, an also improved beta cell function. Moreover, diet group participants experienced reduced blood sugar levels during the study. These benefits were not observed in the control group. "The study has important implications for diabetes prevention," said lead study author Hana Kahleova, M.D., Ph.D. "[The findings] add to the growing evidence that food really is medicine and that eating a healthful plant-based diet can go a long way in preventing diabetes." Research is continuing to uncover that eating healthily can help to combat obesity and reduce rates of type 2 diabetes, so it is unsurprising that a plant-based diet has shown to be effective. However, some fruits, legumes and whole grains, which the diet in this study was based on, can contain higher levels of carbs, which are detrimental to blood sugar levels, insulin sensitivity and weight loss. This is why eating a low carb diet based on plant-based foods is so effective because it is sustainable for keeping blood sugar levels well controlled. Our Low Carb Program has already helped thousands of people with prediabetes avoid developing type 2 diabetes, and enabled people with type 2 diabetes to reduce dependency on medication.

Continue reading...

2. Guzzler

Guzzler Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I'm not wholly convinced that a small participant study of non Diabetic people can really prove to have significant findings for those people with Diabetes or a degree of insulin resistance.
    It would be interesting to know what kind of diet the people who were put on the plant based diet had before they were put on it. To clarify, if both groups were on the SAD then half of them were put on the plant based diet then surely they would see improved Beta cell function because of the reduction in carbs, and the control group would see no change.
    It would also be interesting to know if cholesterol was being measured at the same time, call me cynical.

3. NoCrbs4Me

NoCrbs4Me I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It would have been interesting to also have had a group on an all meat diet.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook