playing golf

daveosman

Hi eveyone. Im newly diagnosed type 2 and I have found that since going on a low carb diet I have lost weight but when I go and have a round of golf which I do every weekend I now feel really tired hal way round. Is there any food I can eat the day before that will give me more energy?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Hi Dave,

Do you test your blood glucose when feeling tired?

Nigel

Tony B

Moring, ive found that i need to take something to eat in my golf bag, im on a low carb diet and lost weight, but if you are taking excersice as in golf walking you will need carbs to burn off, if not you will feel like you do.

take a couple of bannanas or a sandwich, you will find you level of what you need each time you play, the excersice is lowering your blood sugers

best regards Tony B

Maistan

It also depends on the time you play golf - if I play over lunchtime i always take some carby snack just to get me over the 11th hole brick wall (in my case ) I also have bananas and peanuts in my bag along with paracetamols, rennies, plasters etc.(but that is another thread......) and I also drink water too

Enjoy the golf - new season is less than 6 weeks away - time to dust down the clubs and recharge the battery

daveosman

Hi noblehead. I don't test yet as Ive only seen the Doctor once since being diagnosed 5 weeks ago. I am going for blood tests again on the 15th to see if my levels have come down. I am on 500mg Metformin 3 times daily and 20mg Simvastatin once a day to lower my cholesterol. I used to weigh 17 stone and Im down to 13stone 10lbs. I lost a lot of the weight through diabetes without realising I was diabetic,but now I,m on a low carb diet and I exercise every day,600 sit ups and 20 mins on the stepper.

My doctor wants me down to my teenager weight which was 11stone.I am 55 and when she said that I thought no chance but the more I exercise and the more I stick to the diet I can see that might be a realistic goal. Just wondering if Im doing everything the right way as a newbie?

I eat porridge for breakfast before my round of golf. Should that be enough to sustain my energy levels or is there anything better to eat before a round and is there anything I can eat half way round to boost energy levels?

Thanks

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
daveosman said:
I eat porridge for breakfast before my round of golf. Should that be enough to sustain my energy levels or is there anything better to eat before a round and is there anything I can eat half way round to boost energy levels?

Thanks

Hi,
I find if I eat porridge for breakfast I am fine working for about 2 hours or so and then my glucose levels get lower than before I ate the porridge and I have to have a snack. (Bit of a pain if it's only about 9am after an early start!!)
Fruit may be a good snack or even a small sandwich if you can eat bread ok. Trial and error I'm afraid, we are all different.
HTH
Angie

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
daveosman said:
Hi noblehead. I don't test yet as Ive only seen the Doctor once since being diagnosed 5 weeks ago. I am going for blood tests again on the 15th to see if my levels have come down. I am on 500mg Metformin 3 times daily and 20mg Simvastatin once a day to lower my cholesterol. I used to weigh 17 stone and Im down to 13stone 10lbs. I lost a lot of the weight through diabetes without realising I was diabetic,but now I,m on a low carb diet and I exercise every day,600 sit ups and 20 mins on the stepper.

My doctor wants me down to my teenager weight which was 11stone.I am 55 and when she said that I thought no chance but the more I exercise and the more I stick to the diet I can see that might be a realistic goal. Just wondering if Im doing everything the right way as a newbie?

Dave, still difficult to say if your tiredness is due to having a hypo or simply down to the physical exercise involved. Why not carry your blood glucose meter with you and test before you get half way round, if you are going low then eat some fast acting glucose followed by a carby snack 10-15 mins later, then after try eating a banana before you embark on the golf course as this may prevent you going low. Just remember to always carry fast acting glucose wherever you go.

Nigel

Bluenosesol

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Dark mornings, intolerance any one with a superiority complex...
Dave,

prior to diagnosis, I suffered from sleep apnoia and could fall asleep on a roller coaster! Two years later, I have bundles of energy and can exercise forever, however it didnt happen overnight and the transtion between high bg and associated symptoms to good health didnt happen overnight either. I suspect you may simply need to stay on track and be a little patient!

All the best - Steve