Please could you take just 5 minutes to have a read of this

ButtterflyLady

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Acceptance of health treatment claims that are not adequately supported by evidence. I dislike it when people sell ineffective and even harmful alternative health products to exploit the desperation of people with chronic illness.
Welcome, I read it too. I think the paramedic's behaviour was appalling and I hope the complaint has the right outcome.

Reactions: 2 people

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, it is terrible that there is still so much misunderstanding about diabetics.

But then that same story goes on to perpetuate the myth that type 2 diabetes is always self inflicted!
Unlike type two diabetes, caused by obesity, type one is caused by the body’s faulty immune system destroying the pancreas that produces vital insulin.

A spokesman forDiabetes.Co.UK: “Type one diabetes is not self inflicted and some patients have complications despite looking after themselves.

Arrrrrgh! :arghh:

Reactions: 6 people

uart

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes, it sure seems like the paramedic displayed some ignorance of the diabetic condition. His behavior was appalling. And I'm certain that, upon reflection, the relevant people at social services will see it this way as well.

BTW March. Just wondering if you managed to make the call for help before you went hypo, or did your 5 y.o. Elliot make the call? Well done him if he did. :)

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
outrageous from a health professional !!
glad you got a good outcome from social services shame they won't charge him for wasting their time;

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That was a disgusting way to treat you when you are obviously a excellent dad to your boys so glad that social services could see that. I hope the paramedic was given a real ear bashing over it

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Hello and welcome to the forum, yes I agree 100% the paramedic was way out of order.
I see you have a pump, do you have the book pumping insulin by John walsh and have you considered a CGM? Might be worth asking your team for one if you haven't. Another thing to consider is the type of insulin you use some people can not control their diabetes using analogues or synthetic insulin's so do some research on the animal insulin's and see if that is an option for you.

G

graj0

Hi, and welcome,
from an experience that my mother had after falling at her care home and looking at how the paramedic phoned the police from his own mobile without saying anything to anybody, I know that these people have stepped well beyond their remit. They have explicit instructions (London Ambulance do anyway) to consult with a senior manager before they do anything like phone any authority. The paramedics are not trained or qualified to make such judgement calls. They obviously feel that they have become gods.

I feel for you, and I hope there is a good outcome.

iHs

Hello March

I m not sure by looking at yr photo with yr son if you have a pump or not as I think you are using what looks like an Accuchek bg meter but anyway, through having moderately bad hypos myself when I was younger and going to A & E with glucose drip in my arm and wondering what on earth happened to make diabetes disgrace me, you have my understanding. Life is full of 'if only I had done this instead of doing that', the hypo would not have taken such a hold on me but life is life and yr story is what researchers need to justify developing new technology like CGM and the closed loop artificial pancreas. CGM is in existance but is very expensive but would help guide you a bit in knowing what yr bg levels were. Other than that..?....test bg a bit more and try not to control bg too tightly unless there is an underlying reason for tighter control to be necessary.

Was the paramedic right to contact social services? well yes and no but in todays world, there are so many rules and regulations. The paramedic could have shown a bit more understanding as dealing with hypoglycaemia is fairly common, but if they had turned a blind eye and you had another hypo requiring their help and yr son was also gravely affected, then questions would be asked as to why the previous hypo incidents had not been reported, so as awful as the whole situation was, a child's welfare is no 1 so that is why they took the steps that they did.

All the best anyway xxxxx definately look at CGM as new technology will be with us within the next year they will increase the competition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Marchticus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Arrogant people who don't think diabetes is a serious condition, and that think type 1 and type 2 diabetes are similar. They are in-fact VERY different.
In reply to many questions. Yes I do have an insulin pump. My 5 year old son has always had an extremely high interest in my diabetes. I've shown him everything, I even let him do my bloodsugar for me, me and my ex partner taught Elliot what to do in an I emergency, invade I did fall hypo whilst I was looking after them, and that was to call mummy and if I fall unconscious then to phone for an ambulance. It wasn't as such putting that responsibility on him, it was for emergencies if something like this happened. How many people can be proud to say that their 5year old son potentially saved their life? Me ex partner had got to the scene in under 5 minutes so much sooner than the paramedics. But the way the paramedic treated me, the way he spoke to me and the things that he said I think we're extremely insulting and wrong. He said that it was child abusers putting that kind of responsibility on a child. Ok so what would have happened if Elliot hadn't been show. What to do? I could have slipped into a coma and potentially died. Then the children would have certainly been at risk. I suffer from hypoglycemia unawareness, and I can't deal with hypos on my own as I black out and will eventually have en epileptic seizure which is triggered from an extremely low bloodsugar. I've had diabetes for 16 years and i've battled against it for the last 10. I've tried and tried my best to deal with it, but it's an on going battle. I have many underlying health problems, some caused by poor control, others just came upon me. I have other problems in my life to deal with and then I have my diabetes. It's made me morbidly depressed and I just can't cope with it! Please I did not ask for slander, I just wanted to raise awareness as to how I was treated by a professional. It was as if I'd brought it on my self. Or I was a violent drunk. I was in need of reassurance and comforting not to be made to feel like a victim. I hope this clears things up for you all. Thank you so much for your support.

March.

Reactions: 4 people

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
It does sound to me as if you need to go right back to basics do some basal testing (not everyone's idea of fun) Talk to your team at Exeter and ask for them to apply for CGM and sensors for you so at least you have warnings of hypo's. As a rule Devon and Cornwall CCG are way behind in funding such things but if you and your team put in a good case this will help you no end and also make your quality of life so much better. Exeter is meant to be a very good centre for diabetes care, but you have to help yourself as well.
So buy the book pumping insulin and also do some basal checks then check your carb ratio. I thing at a time though :)
Wishing you all the best.