Please Help! Could sudden appearance of a large rash (hives) on my type 1 son be diabetes related?

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi
My son has type 1 and been diagnosed since August 2015. He's now 13 and the long mentioned and forewarned 'puberty' is finally upon us and his sprouting away like crazy now.
He's generally doing fine now and has been running a bit high past few weeks with this awful flu. We only saw his consultant on Thursday for his clinic check and the only change made was 1unit increase in his Levemir at at night. Should I be concerned that it could be something diabetes related as my quick Google search has worried into enough to make this post here. Or just that maybe Lynx bath and shower products have quite a few notorious nightmare stories of allergic reactions if you are looking for them and that recently the very same product caused my husband's face to swell up and turn red and scaly and skin to form huge crusts and then literally peel and flake off a few years ago. Honestly it was horrendous and he gets hives and itches from showering, sweating, clothing made with wool, lanolin and well anything and everything and nothing it appears.
Sorry I do blab and go on so I'll get off now and just im looking for some quick fire answers and possibilities from you guys so I can go to sleep and throwing it out there. Google didn't really help reassure me and didn't really provide me with anything that wasn't rather too nightmarish or that just a quick browse of the results supported by just backing up my own best guess or my most obvious thoughts on what or why this awful angry rash suddenly appeared. I know its probably the lynx and hopefully just over thinking it.....I hope so!

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
You should go to the doctor to get it checked. It could be allergies which are really hard to nail down the cause. You can suddenly develop an allergy to anything, from his insulin to corn he just ate. My husband got a severe rash they said was from the anesthetic he had a month before he got his rash. They were insistent that it was from that and a fairly common event.

But some virus's can cause rashes too and a few other things can cause rashes that can cause more issues. It's usually not specific to type 1 except diabetics in general can have drier skin and be more prone to skin irritations from dermatitis to fungal infections..

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello and welcome to the forum @dollyblot_original :)

I haven't come across hives relating directly to type 1 before, allergies can come and go regardless of diabetes status for many reasons, many years ago I used to get hives when drinking spirits or eating shell fish and I wasn't type 1 back then, anti histamines help of course, but it's best to get checked out by your GP to see if there's anything they can suggest.

Cocosilk

Type of diabetes
Gestational
Treatment type
Insulin
I was reading recently, after my 3yo and then I(!), broke out in hives, that it is often caused by a virus. My 3yo indeed had a virus, like a cold / cough /sore throat, and he broke out in hives at different times over a few days - even once when I gave him a little spank on the leg for being naughty, the hives appeared where I had spanked him! But they came up in different places on different days. Then a few days later, I had caught the bug and woke up in the middle of the night with my back itching like crazy. I got up to try and look at it in the mirror and, sure enough, I had hives too. But only once. We are all allergic to things - have eczema/ dermatitis / asthma, but this did indeed seem to be related to the virus rather than an allergy thing. So the hives may be related to the flu rather than anything else.

"Infections can cause hives in some people. In fact, viral infections cause more than 80 percent of all cases of acute hives in children. A variety of viruses can cause hives (even routine cold viruses). The hives seem to appear as the immune system begins to clear the infection, sometimes one week or more after the illness begins. The hives usually persist for one week or two and then disappear." https://www.uptodate.com/contents/hives-urticaria-beyond-the-basics