Please help me. i need some advice PLEASE !

lesleyh

i have type 2 and take metformin twice daily. but over the pass 3 weeks i have noticed that no matter when or what i eat my bm shoots up and i really feel unwell. about a hour tops after eating i get the worst sweats my body feel like its going to cath fire o go that hot. after that it settles down and i feel fine agin. but i have noticed also i am getting continus tingling in my legs feet and and face. and fellin gmore thursty and going toilet a little more often. but i have got to the stage that i dread eating now because i know what is comng after. Is this normal or is the diabetis getting worst. i cant get to see my gp for another week ive been waiting 2 weeks to see him. Please can anyone help or advice me, i not sure what to do as i was diagnose back in october2009. so im new to this.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Go see the doctor ASAP.
Hana

lesleyh

Sorry i forgot to mention. im on 2x 500mg metformin and my bm 1 hour after eating was 12.2 then 2 hours after eating it was 14.4 the higest i have been is 16.4 but when i wake up before i eat breakfast its around 3.4 to 4
im fed up with it as i feel like i fighting a losing battle. it seems it doesnt matter what or when you eat i get the same fellings after as mentioned aboved. i did attend the endocrine clinic who put me metformin and they mentioned increasing the metformin and including insulin. that is worrying !.
im scared that if im given insulin it will kill me. cos i know if you take insulin and your not diabetic it can kill you. my reason for thinking this is because my bm is normal in the mornings. its just the rest of the day i have problems.
sorry i seem to be going a bit. :D

Sue Morton

You need to question what you are eating. Try porridge and a low fat yogurt. Your 3.4 to 4 BS is low according to the books. But you should phone up your doctors and get an emergency appointment. I myself am newly diagnosed and am finding it hard to get to grips with the food thing and have not yet got stable BS. My BS was 25.3 and varies now between 8 to 12.1. Have you got a dedicated nurse that you go to see if you can't get in to see the doctor then try your nurse as you do urgently need to see either of them. Good luck.

C

catherinecherub

Hi Lesley,
If you feel really rough over the weekend then take yourself off to A@E as it is not normal to feel this ill and your fasting levels are in the hypoglycemic range.
Try and get an emergency appointment with your GP on Monday as you need to get this sorted. The stress that you are feeling will also raise your blood sugars.

Catherine.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Try ringing NHS direct they were very helpful when I was first diagnosed and had a problem .It cant do any harm and may give you reasurance. CAROL

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
All the foregoing advice is good - we can only give advice from experience & we haven't got many facts we use to manage our own condition -

What was your HbA1c on diagnosis & the most recent?
HbA1c is a cell glucose measurement that effective averages your blood glucose over the last 2-3 months. 4.5 - 6 - Your Dr uses it to assess your condition.

What do you eat? I would predict that you eat a substantial amount of starchy carbs as recommended by the NHS & Diabetes UK. In my experience, that is wrong & results in post meal highs, & pre-meal lows as you experience. 'We' get more stable results with a low carb diet - not Atkins. Cheese & unsalted nuts & fresh fruit are good for snacks. Fruit juice is best avoided as it has 10% sugar.

Your age & prediabetes health are also factors.

lesleyh

hi... first off thanks for all the replies.
my bm was 10.5 when i and im 48 years of age.. first got diginose back in october 09. i eat things like tuna salads with biled potatoes. white bread. i have reduced the amount to half of what i use to eat on one sitting. but i will eat my sunday roast. thats my treat.. :D i dont have suger in coffee or tea. i use sweetex cut out sweets all together. :( i know im not perfect at what im eating, and i know im going badly wrong somewhere.
not sure what the other test you mentioned is or if i have had it done. but i will find out.

can i say by reading the post on here i was amazed that people are getting the same replies from the pg and nurse as i am. ive been told dont test dont worry. basiclly told your a diabetic now get on with it. when from my own point of view i dont have a clue. except i know i have to watch the suger intake. come back if you go above 20 . well if you dont test how are you going to know...
i have found my D?N will listen but dont always answer. i also think sometimes things can be pushed aside. because their so busy.

sorry im babbling on again.

C

catherinecherub

Hi lesley,
I think your diet needs tweaking IMHO.
We all have to cut our carbohydrates by some amount and testing really is the answer. Bread, potatoes, rice, pasta and cereals are the main culprits and we all have an individual response. Some prefer to cut these out altogether. Have the sunday roast if you enjoy it as life willl get terribly boring if you don't have a treat to look forward to.
Try substituting the white bread with some granary, stoneground or soya and linseed and this may give you better readings. Keep away from fruit juices and processed foods
Try and fit isn some moderate exercise most days. 30 minutes is recommended. You can do 2x15 minutes or even 3x10 minutes.

Above all, keep a food diary and test, test and test again. It is a sad fact that most Type 2's are given bad advice and left to get on with it so it has to be us that manages this disease.

I am still puzzled why your fasting levels are so low? Any ideas?

Hope this helps,

Catherine.

Herman lausan

Cat ,
I am not being nasty or want to hurt your feelings. But you got to get a grip. You need to get on a Low Glycemic diet , Today. Now I have a hard time to count carbs. Well with this you don't count them . In one week you will know what to eat and what not. Breads and potato's may be a treat but they really spike our glucose levels. I have a feeling that you eat completely the wrong things.
If this continues Neuropathy will set in . Boy oh boy is it painful. Also with your high numbers you are continuously damaging your heart.I think with your high numbers that you may sometimes get a dump of insulin and you go Hypo.
Also How is the exercise program your doctor told you to do?I have said it a thousand times , you have to learn all you can about diabetes . Most doctor don't give a flyin' hoot about us diabetics. They also get so tired of people not really taking care of themselves.

Please don't take this as an insult , I feel for you and I really do care that you get control of this terrible disease. Don't take diabetes lightly. Oh, yes we can have good days and let our guard down. But thats when we must do what we got to do to keep those great days a coming.

C

catherinecherub

Hi Herman,
We have individual responses to carbohydrate foods and so to say that bread and potatoes spike our glucose levels is only your experience and may not be true for everyone else.
I follow the G.I. diet and have done since diagnosis and although you may not have to count complex carbohydrates you will still have to test your response and in most cases reduce portion size or eliminate certain foods.
G.I. management requires frequent testing in the early stages and for people being denied testing equipment it is difficult. You also need to keep a food diary. To say that it will only take a week to sort out your G.I. diet is misleading and simply not true for the majority of us.
Diabetes Type 2 is something that is unique to us in our response to certain foods and there is no blueprint.

Catherine.

P.S. Your last post was addressed to me but should have been for Lesley.