Angeldust

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
WINTER. COLD. RAIN. WIND.
Hey guys.
Thanks for your time and I was hoping for any advice asap before tomorrow (Sat) when I have to go back to work.

For almost a year now I've been working as a waitress doing insanely physical and long hours, most of during which I never take a break because simply put my colleagues will treat me differently. I'll always do quick blood sugar checks and grab a coke if need be and get on with it. I don't have the time to eat and take novorapid as of late. This isn't always the case and I might be lucky enough to sit for 10 minutes during a 9+ hr shift and devour something quickly.

This is only a means to an end for me to try be able to save enough to get away to uni and there are no other jobs here. At my interview I was straight up honest about having gotten very ill from complications before but that I'm well now. Anyway here is what really really got to me yesterday leaving me shaking, in tears and almost certain that if the boss had been around I would have left there and then.

I feel like people are still SO ignorant about this condition to the point it make my blood boil. Yesterday morning I had an endocrinologist appointment. The day before that I had my metabolic bloods done then did 11 hours (feeling quite weak) without complaining once. After the appointment yesterday I needed more bloods done out of the same vein (as I didn't want 2 sore arms) then went on to do 10 hours with what was supposed to be no break. I mentioned to the duty manager (who was only going to be around for 4 hrs after I started) that my arm was very sore but it didn't make me unable to do my job otherwise I wouldn't have come in. BUT I wouldn't be able to cart insanely heavy bottle bins and stock up and down steps out the back because of my arm. She said this was cool and no worries. She also told me to go have a break for half an hour.
I felt like I couldn't do this because we were so so busy and the people on with me were less capable and didn't know how to do jobs needing done (even though there's no excuse for them not being). So between 4.30 and 5 (when dinner service starts) I planned to go outside for air and to make sure my sugars were ok and eat something but never really got the chance. knowing i needed to go even if to get some fresh air and drink lots of fluid I went, (informing the duty manager) counting on my phone the MINUTES because that really is how petty some people are, and it totalled 17. Including my one and only whole toilet break of a 10 hour shift.

I came back in to realize I'd been talked about as everyone went silent and the coldest of receptions (not even a hello) from the shift leader who'd just come on. I got snarled at that the place should not be like this that "someone who knows what they are doing" should have done the rest of the jobs (!!!!!) and that "the way it has always been is that people on 9+ hour shifts don't go for breaks".

I've just absolutely had it. I never do anything but work my butt off 100%. I have never ONCE so much as said "im diabetic and need to sit down/need to eat/need a break" because the way people are. I'm in bits because this is just the final blow for all the drama that goes on in the place. I feel like I've no choice to leave but have no idea how I go about this. I am absolutely exhausted after these last few days having bloods taking 2 out 3 of them also. But if I call in sick tomorrow it will make things worse for me because all the talking and backstabbing that will go on about me if i don't speak up first or am there to defend myself. WHEN I HAVE DONE NOTHING WRONG !!!!!!!!!

Basically I say nothing and do nothing because instantaneously I will be prejudiced against for having breaks. Basically that means I have to ignore food and rapid acting injections. I don't need anyone pointing out how wrong and dangerous this all is for me because I know that. It really is the only way i can save up for the escape I so desperately need. And I feel grateful full stop to even have a job. I know I am protected by the DDA but I don't want to bring any of that into is. The sad reality is people aren't allowed to discriminate but they DO and they WILL. Also the endo is delighted with my a1c and I react to highs because of how ill I've been in the past. The worst that happens whilst working is a hypo which I'll feel coming on and down a coke or 2 to bring me back up, My levels are rarely running high because I'm dead on my feet.

I have no idea how to go about this. I'm in a mess right now about how to hand my notice in or just walk. Or if I bring this all up with the boss first. I don't know how to approach it. Also the fact that legally I am entitled to 20 minutes break for every 4 hrs worked, all you get from the other staff is "we don't do breaks in here". So I have never made a fuss of it. Never moaned about it and just got on with it. They will and do treat you differently and i'd rather just try keep the peace with people. I just tell myself it's a means to an end and get on with it. But this time I've had it. The way I was treated and spoken to last night was no less than shocking. Basically told there's no way I should have left for even a second and made to feel like a piece of trash. May I stress the fact I am not in any kind of authority. I have no authority over anyone else. I stressed the fact "I have not stopped in here ALL day .. everyone else in only on a lunch shift .. I'm on right through. And when I mentioned about my arm being sore I got snarled at that I shouldn't be at work.
Umm... sorry but that does NOT make me incapable of work! I worked ridiculously hard like i always do. And the duty manager was cool with all that.

Had the boss been around I'd have walked out no question but I'd be regretting it right now. I guess I'm looking for how you guys would approach this and what you would say. Do I go all guns blazing quoting the DDA etc? i'm just an absolute mess right now :(

Sorry for writing so much and thanks for reading x

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You need to sit down and talk to the manager before you do anything else. Just say you have had a few hypos during working hours which places you at risk to others as well as yourself so need to ensure you can take a break to sit down and eat to prevent this happening again.

If they say no then you can discuss your rights etc.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Angeldust

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hey, thanks.
Been there with him before. He knows I look after myself and always react to a hypo so as to not affect my work. Yeah .. my diabetes always revolvin around my work and not the way it should be (kinda a contradiction in that though in that these no breaks mean I can't eat regularly)
I guess this is all just going to blow up in smoke with all the other dramas that have been going on. Is this really how shocking it is for us? That even if we do say something we are prejudiced against? That's what I don't want and why I never kick up a fuss. But .. I mean it, that's how some people at my work are. They really are that ignorant and not nice.`

I'm increasingly thinking the only solution is walking out, I don't want to have to do that just yet but after this incident ..

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
In the UK we have laws that enforce breaks. I noticed you have in Canada do you have similar laws? If you do may be you need to point these out to people.

Angeldust

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
oh, sorry. Not been on here in a long time. No. UK.
Actually I recall saying to him before "oh but i never let hypos get in way of my work .. i always catch them and never need to take time to sit down or anything" . Sigh. Because then everyone else will kick off over it. Has it really come to this ..
I did/do that out of complete fear of being though of or treated differently. I've never put myself/health first in this job being totally honest.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
in that case have a look here:
https://www.gov.uk/rest-breaks-work/overview

You need to stick up for yourself and let your small minded work colleagues worry about their own lives

PS I think your employer is breaking the law

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
10 hour shifts without a break is unacceptable, I would sit down with the manager and discuss your concerns and how your colleagues treat you, if push comes to shove then quote the Working Time Regs, it's a difficult predicament as I appreciate you need the money and such but your health does come first and foremost.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I completely agree that if there are employment regulations about breaks, then you need to investigate them and then ask for your legal entitlement. Everyone working there should get the breaks.

But I also want to ask if you are treated differently, or the same, as other employees doing the same job as you?

And do your shift supervisors (who are probably around a lot more than your manager) know you are a diabetic?

You say, several times, that you don't talk about how awful you feel, and how you just get on with it. Normally, I would think that is a fantastic attitude and congratulate you. However, in your current situation you may have unintentionally helped to create a situation where your actions are being misunderstood.

If no one gets breaks, and most people haven't got a clue how your diabetes is affecting you, then popping outside is going to look like you are skiving. And that will be resented, and bitched about.

I completely understand your dilemma
  • ask for special treatment and risk giving the impression that you aren't 'fit' for the job (which is clearly nonsense)
  • insist on your legal beaks - and risk being labelled a troublemaker
  • or work yourself into exhaustion and illness
And I really cant advise you, because I don't know all rest of the background details. But I will say that, whatever your decision, your health should be your highest priority!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Breaks are one issue, but I am concerned how a blood test from an arm could make it too weak to do the lugging as expected. I have had blood tests done for 30 years, and the majority of persons that I managed also had blood tests done, but never complained of weakness afterwards. This concerns me.

Breaks are a different issue. There is the statutory minimum you are entitled to. This should be a simple case of talking to a Manager and asking for them to ensure that you can have your statutory entitlement.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You should not have to worry about taking any breaks to which you're legally entitled. You're not really doing anyone any favours (least of all yourself) by denying yourself those breaks. Do you have a health and safety person that you can discuss this with? Otherwise I think you must go to your manager to get things straightened out.

And I think you should consider the fact that although you are working so hard in these appalling conditions to earn the money you need, if you don't look after yourself properly at work, you may end up in a position where you won't be able to follow your dreams.

I'm really sorry if I sound harsh, but it's from concern for you, and I can't imagine what I'd be feeling in your shoes.

Robbity

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
10 hour shifts without a break is unacceptable, I would sit down with the manager and discuss your concerns and how your colleagues treat you, if push comes to shove then quote the Working Time Regs, it's a difficult predicament as I appreciate you need the money and such but your health does come first and foremost.
I think that this is really sound advice. Are there no other jobs available? These people sound really unpleasant and my advice would be to find another job. Doing anything! Do you have access to transport? Do you live in a town? On your own? With parents? Because if you were my daughter, I would have insisted that you left a long time ago! Diabetes as you well know is not a condition to be taken lightly and you could end up with severe health repercussions if you carry on. Take care! Big hug!