Please help!! Waitrose refuse to stock 'LivLife Low Carb Bread'

World Hereafter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello :)

It's some time since I logged into the forums, but I just wanted to make you all aware, especially those on reduced or low carb diets, that Waitrose, in their wisdom, have decided this week to stop all stocks of 'LivLife low carb Bread'.

Apparently, they 'do not have the shelf space' to cater for Diabetics or low carb products! :rolleyes:

Now, as I pointed out in store this morning to their Customer Services person, they manage to find shelf space for hundreds of loaves of standard sliced bread, many of which are identical and also in fact duplicate products, just under different brand names. There are rows and rows of the same standard white bread, the same wholemeal, the same granary, the same grain breads, all standard recipes and standard high carbs, just different brands.

Yet 'LivLife' is (was) the ONLY low carb loaf of bread available in the uk. and it is the ONLY bread that many Diabetics, like myself, can eat without any negative effect on our blood sugar levels (I eat it every day, and my HbA1C was 6.2 last reading, 6.5 before that!). And it's not just eaten by Diabetics either! I know people who eat it as it doesn't bloat them like standard bread.

If like me, you low carb, or are maybe just keen to see more choices and alternatives for healthier breads on the supermarket shelves, or wish to alert the big stores to the benefits of stocking at least ONE low carb and diabetic-friendly bread to their offerings, then please, PLEASE join me and send a written, email request to the man who made the decision to delete LIVLIFE Low Carb bread from Waitrose stores to reconsider his decision, and provide at least ONE choice of bread for us Diabetics !

I mean, Waitrose are quick to jump on the "healthy" bandwagon, and stock hundreds of "Gluten Free" and "Free From" ranges, even though there are statistically far fewer genuine Coeliacs in the UK than Diabetics... and while I don't wish to knock anyone (with a health condition or not) many people just think it's 'trendy' to say they have a "Gluten intolerance", when they have NO intolerance at all, let alone any genuine or medical need to buy Gluten Free products.

Yet millions of Diabetics in the uk DO have a proven Medical condition, and one which is adversely affected by carbohydrate intake!

So, exactly how many of the millions of loaves of bread which are currently stocked on supermarket shelves are suitable for Diabetics or low carbers??? NONE! (as of this week, thanks to Waitrose's decision to stop selling LivLife Bread!).

Please, even if you aren't a low-carber, write them a short message/email and let them know that there should at least be ONE choice of bread available for Diabetics! Lord knows they give over enough space in supermarkets to sugar-filled junk foods, highly processed snacks and other unhealthy options!

If you want to join me in sending a message to the man responsible, here'e his contact details:

[email protected]

that's

james . dickson @ waitrose . co . uk (just in case hyperlink doesn't work!)

Please join me in dropping him a line. Without any action we are all (well.. many of us!) doomed to a life of avoiding the bread aisles... a life devoid of yummy sandwiches... or hot crunchy toast with butter and homemade Diabetic jam.... or LCHF Cheese toasties...... or low carb Bruscettas... { :(

Thank you everyone ! :)

p.s. I mention Waitrose only because they are the only major supermarket who did stock LIVLIFE bread, and who this week suddenly decided to stop it. There are no other supermarkets stocking it (in spite of my email requests to the other supermarkets in my area). So please, if you do send a message or letter or email to Waitrose, please copy it also to the to other supermarkets in your area, or even better, their Head Offices or their Customer Service Heads or their Bakery Directors!!

... and now I'm off to re-think my breakfast and lunch options... all over again.. like going back to when I was first diagnosed and didn't know what to eat :(

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

You may have lost a loaf, but the manufacturer of Livlife has lost its biggest customer. Gotta feel for them. Maybe they have plans to supply a different supermarket?

I believe Sainsburys do a low carb loaf now. Don't know what it's called as they don't sell it in Scotland o_O

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Are you sure they just don't stock it any-more at your local store but it's still available elsewhere, the reason I ask is someone else said the same thing around 2 months ago yet other members said they could still buy it at their local Waitrose.

As far as I'm aware you can buy it on-line so that could still be an option open for you.

World Hereafter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for replies so far....

yes, I have already spoken (at length) with the nice folks at LivLife bread. I did all that before I posted on here, and they clarified it was a nationwide stop by Waitrose, not just my local store.

Also, they confirmed that there are no plans for other supermarkets to start stocking it, as most already refuse to stock it - (citing lack of shelf space again - though it's more more likely to be 'bully-boy' marketing tactics from the big conglomerate bread/food manufacturers I suspect!).

LivLife company have confirmed to me today they have NO outlets in the entire county I live in now Waitrose have stopped stocking them.

LivLife also told me today they are trying to sort an online ordering system, but say that will take time to set up. In meantime, they said all they can hope for is customers to contact Waitrose (and other supermarkets if not near a Waitrose) and that then they may change their minds. Hence my post here!

Hope that helps answer your queries :)

World Hereafter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for info Avacado Sevenfold...

the Hi Lo bread looks ok, and is better than standard bread...

but it seems like they've just copied Livlife to be honest.. even some of same wording. Claining to be "first" is a tad misleading - although they've tried to qualify it with adding "in Sainsbury's"!

Oh... and it has higher carbs than LivLife too (5g per slice vs. 3.7 per slice).

I have already, repeatedly, asked Sainsbury's to stock LivLife bread, over the past 2 years.. I have sent them lots of emails, with research and dietary and medical evidence for low carbs for Diabetics etc, and had many email exchanges with them about the need for low carb products in the UK, especially bread! But guss what?? They repeatedly and stubbornly refused to entertain the idea, always falling back to the lame "lack of space" excuse, and telling me that Diabetics "do not need a special diet"... even telling me the NHS diet guidelines for "lots of starchy carbs" !! wow. They were NOT interested in anything I had to say, nor the copious amounts of 'evidence' I sent them.

Plus, I am loathed to give up on LivLife, who were the pioneers in being the first to devise and provide a low carb loaf, and as far as I know, they're a small, independent company.

I wonder exactly who (i.e. which major company .. ahem!) is behind the new "hi-lo" loaf , which (looking at their website) seems to now be getting stocked by Sainsbury's almost everywhere...(even though Sainsburys is not mentioned on their website) and also getting plenty of high-profile PR in mainstream press.

So... it seems Hi-Lo have some involvement (owned?) with Sainsbury's .. nothing wrong with that I suppose, and I don't know the ins and outs of any of all of it, but I do know how the big boys in the supermarket and retail worlds work... and I really don't like to see small independent pioneers being bullied or put out of business by big, power-weilding companies.

Whatever Sainsbury's is up to though, I still feel Liv Life should be supported and stay stocked by Waitrose and other places too. We want choices, not one solitary option, as low carbers and Diabetics!

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors

It's some time since I logged into the forums, but I just wanted to make you all aware, especially those on reduced or low carb diets, that Waitrose, in their wisdom, have decided this week to stop all stocks of 'LivLife low carb Bread'.

Apparently, they 'do not have the shelf space' to cater for Diabetics or low carb products! :rolleyes:

Now, as I pointed out in store this morning to their Customer Services person, they manage to find shelf space for hundreds of loaves of standard sliced bread, many of which are identical and also in fact duplicate products, just under different brand names. There are rows and rows of the same standard white bread, the same wholemeal, the same granary, the same grain breads, all standard recipes and standard high carbs, just different brands.

Yet 'LivLife' is (was) the ONLY low carb loaf of bread available in the uk. and it is the ONLY bread that many Diabetics, like myself, can eat without any negative effect on our blood sugar levels (I eat it every day, and my HbA1C was 6.2 last reading, 6.5 before that!). And it's not just eaten by Diabetics either! I know people who eat it as it doesn't bloat them like standard bread.

If like me, you low carb, or are maybe just keen to see more choices and alternatives for healthier breads on the supermarket shelves, or wish to alert the big stores to the benefits of stocking at least ONE low carb and diabetic-friendly bread to their offerings, then please, PLEASE join me and send a written, email request to the man who made the decision to delete LIVLIFE Low Carb bread from Waitrose stores to reconsider his decision, and provide at least ONE choice of bread for us Diabetics !

I mean, Waitrose are quick to jump on the "healthy" bandwagon, and stock hundreds of "Gluten Free" and "Free From" ranges, even though there are statistically far fewer genuine Coeliacs in the UK than Diabetics... and while I don't wish to knock anyone (with a health condition or not) many people just think it's 'trendy' to say they have a "Gluten intolerance", when they have NO intolerance at all, let alone any genuine or medical need to buy Gluten Free products.

Yet millions of Diabetics in the uk DO have a proven Medical condition, and one which is adversely affected by carbohydrate intake!

So, exactly how many of the millions of loaves of bread which are currently stocked on supermarket shelves are suitable for Diabetics or low carbers??? NONE! (as of this week, thanks to Waitrose's decision to stop selling LivLife Bread!).

Please, even if you aren't a low-carber, write them a short message/email and let them know that there should at least be ONE choice of bread available for Diabetics! Lord knows they give over enough space in supermarkets to sugar-filled junk foods, highly processed snacks and other unhealthy options!

If you want to join me in sending a message to the man responsible, here'e his contact details:

[email protected]

that's

Please join me in dropping him a line. Without any action we are all (well.. many of us!) doomed to a life of avoiding the bread aisles... a life devoid of yummy sandwiches... or hot crunchy toast with butter and homemade Diabetic jam.... or LCHF Cheese toasties...... or low carb Bruscettas... { :(

p.s. I mention Waitrose only because they are the only major supermarket who did stock LIVLIFE bread, and who this week suddenly decided to stop it. There are no other supermarkets stocking it (in spite of my email requests to the other supermarkets in my area). So please, if you do send a message or letter or email to Waitrose, please copy it also to the to other supermarkets in your area, or even better, their Head Offices or their Customer Service Heads or their Bakery Directors!!

... and now I'm off to re-think my breakfast and lunch options... all over again.. like going back to when I was first diagnosed and didn't know what to eat :(

Dear Mr Dickson

After being on this earth for 45 years I find myself with a desire to write a letter of complaint for the first time, although it is not really a letter of complaint, more a letter of disappointment, I understand you have decided to stop stocking Livlife bread in your stores, this is a shame as you were the only outlet for this product and it gave me a reason to use Waitrose, your store is out of my way and I used to make the journey to shop with you just to buy the bread, I of course bought lots of other things while in store but im afraid you have taken away my reason to travel, I am a type2 diabetic and used the bread in my fight against carbs, there is no other bread that im able to eat so you can understand my disappointment. I dont expect you to change your mind but felt the need to express this, i hope you dont mind.

Yours Sincerely

Andrew Fennell

Reactions: 13 people

World Hereafter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dear Mr Dickson

After being on this earth for 45 years I find myself with a desire to write a letter of complaint for the first time, although it is not really a letter of complaint, more a letter of disappointment, I understand you have decided to stop stocking Livlife bread in your stores, this is a shame as you were the only outlet for this product and it gave me a reason to use Waitrose, your store is out of my way and I used to make the journey to shop with you just to buy the bread, I of course bought lots of other things while in store but im afraid you have taken away my reason to travel, I am a type2 diabetic and used the bread in my fight against carbs, there is no other bread that im able to eat so you can understand my disappointment. I dont expect you to change your mind but felt the need to express this, i hope you dont mind.

Yours Sincerely

Andrew Fennell

Thanks Andy! Nice email! :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
lol wouldnt it take more time making bread than popping into a shop to buy it?

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Oh... and it has higher carbs than LivLife too (5g per slice vs. 3.7 per slice).

The hi-lo is actually lower carb so must be bigger slices.

Livlife per 100g = 15.8 g carbs

hi-lo per 100g = 15.6g carbs

A

Avocado Sevenfold

lol wouldnt it take more time making bread than popping into a shop to buy it?
Depends. I can knock out a low carb loaf in 45 minutes. Going to Waitrose to buy a loaf they don't sell is a hassle. Driving 200 miles to Harrogate to my nearest hi-lo stockist ain't handy either lol

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Don't appear to sell it in all sainsburys -I can't be going to sheffield for a loaf of bread! Which they may not have when I got there!!!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I have emailed hi-lo to ask if they have plans to supply Sainsburys in Scotland. Will let you all know if they reply.

Reactions: 3 people

Lilliepop

[email protected]

that's

Done it couldn't wait. I have just found this bread and bought my first loaf last week not bad at all. Now it's GOING! This the first email I have ever sent to complain about something bloody angry!!!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Livlife no longer on Waitrose website, but showing on the Ocado website.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The hi-lo is actually lower carb so must be bigger slices.

Livlife per 100g = 15.8 g carbs

hi-lo per 100g = 15.6g carbs

Notice it's also lower in price at £1-70 a loaf, wasn't the Livelife bread around £1.90 in Waitrose? We have a Sainsbury's close by so will have to try it next time I'm shopping there.

As for World Hereafters concerns about the big boys pushing the small companies out, I don't think this is the case here. Supermarkets will only stock items that will sell, as bread is a perishable goods it has a limited shelf life and unless it is purchased on a Sale or Return contract the unsold bread is a loss to the company's profits, understand the sentiments concerned by the OP but that is how business works.

Crasper

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dear Mr Dickson

Yours Sincerely

Andrew Fennell

My response from Waitrose

am sorry that you have been disappointed by the recent decision to remove this line from our shelves - the reason was actually very simple..... low sales and very high wastage.
When we first ranged this product it was certainly seen as visionary - bringing a healthy low carb approach to a category that has historically tended to limit itself to the conventional high fibre, blended flours or heavily seeded approach to health was very different, and we launched it with high hopes...
In the end the outcome has been less than successful, which is most disappointing, because we had hoped this product might mark the start of a new and fresh piece of thinking that we could build on in the coming months - sadly not.
However, because we are of the view that the line still has the potential to break new ground, our intention is to take stock and consider relaunching the line in the wrapped speciality breads category, chiefly to see if this might prove a more successful 'home' for this product. If this were to happen then it would be a month or two away before this would be seen in-store.
That's where we are and why, so I hope this reassures you that our decision to take this line out was not a rash one, and that we remain focused on trying to make this product work.
Many thanks for your enquiry, James.

Reactions: 7 people