Please please Can anyone help .. ??

BabyFoXi_666

Have been a widow for the last 5 years But have recently started dating again .. We go for the occasional weekend away .. Staying in a bed and breakfast or hotel .. Wonder's if how a diabetic is meant to store their insulin in a fridge when There is Not one in the room .. Please please has anyone else experienced this problem or could anyone give Me some help and advice .. ?? .. Thank You .. X .. :crazy: ..

scottish-jim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Insulin usually lasts for 28 days out of the fridge so I don't see it as a major problem. You don't want to inject insulin straight from the fridge as it can make the injection painful.

Enjoy your weekends away :)

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
I was told by my DSN that the vial in use should not be chilled, as this can cause extra discomfort when injecting

If taking a spare vial with you, it will be ok out of a fridge for a few days so long as it does not get too hot

If you are going somewhere hot then the Frio wallet will do the job

MacPhoenix

When traveling around India I used a stainless steel thermos flask, wrapped the vials in cotton wool and poured cold water into the flask.

However, as people are saying in your situation - don't worry about it. You could always keep it in a glass of water if it brings you piece of mind. I carry insulin wherever I go, you know just in case I get abducted by aliens or sometin. :mrgreen:

Reactions: 2 people

Siwan

I don't store the pen I'm currently use in the fridge. My understanding was that my 'spares' should be kept in the fridge but the one I'm actually using can be kept out of the fridge for 28 days (as another poster also said) so it shouldn't be a problem.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My husband has been T1 for most of our 42 year marriage and we've travelled together. staying in many places. we've never had any trrouble with his insulin. However should the place be especially hot, I'd wrap it in its container in a damp flannel or hand towel. Evaporation will cause cooling. It's how milk coolers used to work before we all had fridges.
hana

Vee50

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I dont think thats a problem. I dont keep my insulin in the fridge (the one im using) and have kept unused out of the fridge for a couple of days when necessary and its been fine.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

X-entricity

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Small 240/12 volt fridges are available from places like Argos for about £55. Can be cooled down before leaving then either topped up in the car or in your room. (Don't leave on with car engine off for long as will obviously flatten battery), We have used one for drinks etc. all through the continent and they work well.