Please - read this:

hallii

I foresee a problem, who is going to know what sort of plant is being grown? Will the plod go round testing every plant being grown?

Even if it was sold over the counter or on prescription how would the plod know what was legit and what was not.

Would I use it, no, I only use natural organic produce :D

H

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
God point re: the plod. But the modified stuff is only be available on prescription. So there would be strict controls in place.

hallii said:
I only use natural organic produce

What happens when you are asked to try oral medication? 'Cos NONE of that is natural and organic.

A plant is much more natural/organic (even if it has been carefully bred) than any Metformin/Statin/Gliclazide, etc...

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
By strict definition, a plant is a "natural" thing. It's organic if all its culture has been witthout synthesised chemicals.
Selective breeding is also natural. What about Natural Selection? Whilst a plant or animal species exhibits variation, selection can take place.
Many medicines began as plant extracts; Aspirin from the willow. Digitalis from foxgloves, morphine from poppies, quinine from the cinchona tree. atropine from deadly nightshade. the list is huge. the difficulty with using the plant directly is in measuring the dose. I think many medicines are still extracted from plants an processed to get a consistent dose. I've seen poppy fields around here and rather assumed they were medicinal rather than for culiunary purposes. I do mean the pinky white opium poppies, NOT the red cornfield ones.
Hana

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
If it works then I see no problem in using it.

Re "the Plod", it is also being grown under licence in this country and has been for some time for medical use, which seems strange as on one hand the government prohibits its use and cultivation and yet sells a licence to at least one company to do just that. I understand that sufferers of some complaints have been using it illegally for years as a means of pain management and historically of course it is well known that Queen Victoria used it to control period pain.

Re "By strict definition, a plant is a "natural" thing". Yes but where do you draw the line at messing with plants when it comes to genetic modification?

Illegal cultivators have been crossing plants to produce high THC together with high yields for years culminating in the now common "Skunk" varieties first produced a few of decades back which produce a far higher "high" than the original plant that has been used through the ages. Crossing plants to produce higher growth/bigger fruit etc has been done since farming began.

You have to wonder where the licensed growers get their seeds from as it would seem perverse if they use the now readily available "skunk" varieties that have been bred to produce high THC levels only to then modify the strain again to preclude that particular chemical. Bizarre?

So where does cross breeding end and genetically modifying begin? Im not sure I am in favour of GM but cross breeding would seem to be OK to me.

ps... just reread the article and it clearly states that the legal growers have used cross breeding to remove the THC :roll: so GM is not an issue, good to know :thumbup:

Patch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I have to admit, Sid - the GM issue was the first thing that sprung to mind when I read the title of the article.

It's a great shame that - for us in the UK anyway - if any of us DO choose to try Marijuana, we have to put up with the (unpleasant?) side effect of getting high when, really, we are only using it to control BG's! :thumbup:

robbo5662

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
testing bs
i have read that there is research going on in this country that is very similar, one company has a licence to grow it and are working in the same area. it was good to hear it does not get you high as this would make it more acceptable to most people.
however i am surprised it is in a ciggie form and not a tab!

Fraddycat

Agreed, I gave up smoking years ago and wouldn't want to smoke to be able to have the benefits. When I lived in Israel aged about 22 we used to have something called Joffi Coffee (joffi [sp] is the israeli word for beautiful), I'm not explaining any more ... :twisted: