Pleased to see this new topic area

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. It's good to see this diabetes classification added. I guess I'm one of quite a few classed by my GP as T2 (well, you're not a T1 are you?) to quote the GP. I've never been overweight, I lost a lot of weight shortly before diagnosis and tablets have not managed me well. I had my own GAD and c-peptide tests done recently as my GP wasn't interested. The former was negative and the c-peptide showed I had little of my own insulin (what a surprise). The interesting thing is the negative GAD. Now there are several other antibodies which most labs can't/don't test for and of course many other causes of pancreatic destruction such as viruses. I suspect in my case it may have been a virus. What concerns me is that of the 20% so-called T2s that are not overweight there must be quite a high proportion who are not insulin resistant and who in fact have a defective pancreas thru one of these unknown causes. Until the medical profession recognises that this very crude T1/T2 classification is hiding a mid-group of diabetics who have a range of more unusual causes we won't get nearer to the right research to separate out the causes. At least T1.5/LADA is becoming more clearly recognised thru positive GAD tests and some IA2; we just need more data and research where there aren't the right tests available. Anyone any views on the subject or more knowledge to bring to bear?

Nik442

Hi, the more I read the more i wonder if I fall into this category. I'm certainly in the 20% not overweight group and crucially I also have a recognised autoimmune condition. I was diagnosed type 2 by my GP based on two very low BS readings that I did at home i.e. I must be producing some insulin.

Nik

dib

I agree, really pleased to see this. I am struggling with frequent lows at the moment while we try and work out what is the best regime. Small doses (5 units am. and up to 10 units pm.)of Humalog 25 send me low after two hours and my present regime of basal only (7units am. and 7 pm.) sends me low after four hours. Even one unit more or extra activity can send me low if I am not careful! I seem to have no resistance to insulin at all. I would like to hear from others in the same boat, and what you did about it? :thumbup: