Pleurisy

FindingNemo

I was diagnosed with this on Saturday. I had been to the Dr and given antibiotics on Thursday, after my current cough/cold started to feel more chesty and I passed out on Wednesday evening (that was hugely embaressing as I was at the filming for TOTP at the time and they stopped the musc for me!)
On the Friday the back/chest pain started and was bad enough for me to call the docs on Saturday, when pleurisy ws diagnosed. Was advised to continue with antibiotics and given some better pain relief.
On Monday my breathing became quite difficult and I felt faint all the time, even when lying down. I called my mum, who called the GP ( I was waiting for a call back) to be told they were al in a meeting for a few hours, so she called an ambulance. My BP was 181/108 (think mostly due to panic), breathe heavy with ketones and quite short of breathe and in pain. I was taken in and discharged a little later with further antibiotics.
I am manageing to be awake for no more than 6-8 hours/24, sometimes only 4 hours.

The cough and cold that this started with is definitely easing by the day, but the pain is not. I am also still unable to eat. When I do eat I tend to vomit it all back. I have not eaten anything resembling a meal since Thursday. My BMs have actually not been bad for me, between 6-11. But ketones remained at 4+ and the weigt is falling off, even my pants are baggy!

I have looked online but can't really find when I should expect things to get much better. I don't want to be going back to my GP if this is normal for pleurisy, but am also unsure how long I can keep going without eating.

To be honest, I have no idea what to do with myself, i have never had anything like this and am at home all day on my own, left to wallow.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Please contact your Gp or health centre.Get a home visit if possible ,get this sorted out before it makes you any more ill than you already are.

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
ditto what sue says,
ask the dr for advice as to how long it should be till u feel better, i had pleurisy yrs ago and wasnt diabetic then but remember the pain being horrible, hope u soon feel better xxxxx

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Surely any meeting must take second place to a diabetic patient with a serious infection. Follow the advice of the battling Granny and put in a complaint to your PCT.

FindingNemo

Thanks for the advice guys, I am seeing the doctor tomorrow. I guess I just felt I needed 'permission' to seek yet another appointment as I live in fear of the 'raised eyebrows' and feeling like a timewaster. Pathetic, I know.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Battling Granny Hana here again.
You are ill, you are a diabetic and as such at risk of very serious trouble. you are not bothering your doctor, just asking him/her to do a job for which the salary is at least £100,000 a year.