podiatrist.

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
hi all hope everyone ok.
been going to podiatrist every week for a few months. the one i normally see is away on holiday saw a nice man last week
trimmed all up all ok said make an appointment with nurse this week which i did went today had big toe dressing changed because kept weeping.
when dressing was taken of my toe was quite bad plus another one really red just finished a lot of anti biotics now been put on CO-AMOXICLAV125mg plus
morphin oral as the smaller toe which is infected cannot put foot down as toe so painful.
got an emergency podiatrist appoinment tomorrow down at our surgery.
been on so many anti biotics nothing seems to be clearing this infection up it goes away then comes back again.
wonder if cholestrol as anything to do with it was on simvastatin because it was 8. today put me on ATORASTATIN 40mg as cholestrol 7.1.
its a matter of watch this space.love to all

C

catherinecherub

Hi Destiny,

If this foot wound has been going on for several weeks then I would ask your G.P. to refer you to a Vascular Consultant. It could be that you have circulation problems associated with your feet.
The addition of pain killers will not help the healing process and you really need to know why the wound is not healing.

Whether the cholesterol levels are not helping I really don't know.

Hope this helps.

CC

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sorry to hear you are having problems, I don't know if high cholesterol has anything to do with the foot infections. I was changed to Atovastatin as the Simvastatins didn't seem to be doing much good, even the Atorvastatins aren't bringing my cholesterol down that much. Co Amoxiclav is basically Amoxicillin with something else added which helps the bacteria becoming resistant to it. I had it once when I had an ear infection that wouldn't clear up, and while I hope you don't have any side effects it did hit me pretty hard, I was so drowsy with it that I think I was micro sleeping and dreaming, it was either that or I was hallucinating, so take it easy and see how it effects you.

Amoxicillin is really a common antibiotic and several bacterial are building a resistance to it, there is also a small group of bacteria it doesn't effect. Fortunately there are other antibiotics they can try I think medical professionals are becoming more reluctant to try them as they more they are used the more bacteria will become resistant to those as well, but if needed they are available.

You say your nurse changed your dressing on your foot, it might be worth asking if there is anything you (or a family member if you have problems reaching it) could do to help keep it clean and free of bacteria. I'm no doctor but I did do a bit of microbiology at Polytechnic (and come from a very medical family, close family includes retired nurse, retired dentist and my sister doing drug research) and I know many bacteria thrive in warm moist environments such as between toes.

I hope I haven't said anything to upset or scare you and I hope the infections do clear up soon.

One more thing, unless you have serious side effects (in which case see your doctor or consultant) PLEASE FINISH THE ANTIBIOTIC COURSE. One of the main causes for bacteria to become resistant to a drug is because too many people feel they can stop taking the tablets because they feel better, the infection hasn't always fully cleared up and that is when it returns, but what returns is bred from those bacteria that had some resistance and so the cycle starts.

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
people who think nothing is wrong with you because they do not see blood or a plaster cast, i suffer with arthritis & use a zimmer & wheelchair but because they cant see anything wrong people assume nothing is wrong with you.
Thank you Ruth for your reply. First of all no it did not scare me already lost 1toe nearly 2 yrs ago.
My sugars had been up & down lately more than a yo yo.
I see dn on Friday. Meanwhile an emergency app with podiatrist tomorrow morning.
My big toe had been leaking so hubby kept changing it to stop infection getting in as just recovered from cellulitis infection in leg caused from one toe.got it all cleared
When we went today that toe big one still leaking,the other one so bright red it would have done as a nose for Rudolph.
So we will see what tomorrow brings

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Well to keep you all updated saw dn on Friday, because I have been having toe troubles.
Well to start with my big toe on left foot leaking because of a hole,next the third tou had split open hubby dressed it to keep out infection.
Been seeing podiatrist every week,but could not fit me in last Thursday make an appointment with nurse which was last Wednesday. Took dressings of toes smallest toe would have made Rudolph a new nose very bright red & glowing.
Dr had a look emergency appointment with podiatrist had to be made was put on co-coxiclav.125mg & oral morphine as in lots of pain could not put foot down at all.
Got home phone rang podiatry see them next day at our surgery,lanced it load of gunk came out.
Then in afternoon hospital because of arthritis was promptly given a cortisone injection 1 in each shoulder which informed could play up sugars.
Friday appointment with dn, told her about injections because sugars have been playing up anyway want to see me Monday.
As as also upped glizlizide.80mg x 2 in morning & 80mg x 2 in evening.sorry for rambling but wanted to share with all my diabetic friends.
Will keep you all informed,but at least well & truly looked after. You all take care.xxxx

destiny0321

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Saw dn redressed toes feet up on pillows on the bed.getting fed up now been going on a long time.

Ruth B

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Glad you are getting looked after, keep you feet and spirits up and hopefully it will get better soon.