podiatry

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes! Celebrities and curry
DNS said to contact podiatry after I showed her my toe
It has a fungal infection of long standing but now nail has thickend down one side and is making top corner red and painful maybe ingrowing ,so having filled in all the details online have had a phone call today making a phone appt for next week .How can anyone judge the severity of this without seeing it !
Is this the way its done during covid?

Reactions: DrQ

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did they give you the option to upload a photo online? I had a couple of skin infections in the first lockdown and was asked to send pictures. More recently with an illness, following an initial telephone consultation, I was given a face to face appointment so that the doctor could do a proper examination.

They’re being quite cautious about inviting people in, but you may find that after the call you’re asked to attend the surgery.

Ushthetaff

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Mountain out of mole hill makers ,queues , crowds , shopping on a Saturday hmm just shopping I guess no matter what day it is
I think like a lot of things during COVID it’s all down to where you are as there doesn’t seem to be any uniformity on much .
I’m in Scotland , a couple of months ago I developed the start of a blister due to a new pair of working shoes , I’m a below knee amputee so I’m guessing I was classed as a priority , I phoned podiatry and they saw me the following day. I am also still getting my toenails cut on a relatively regular basis ,

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thats hopeful maybe after waiting another week for phone triage someone will look at it

Riva_Roxaban

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
How can anyone judge the severity of this without seeing it !
Is this the way its done during covid?
I have been physically seeing a podiatrist for the past year as part of my health care plan, the podiatry practise has solicial distances in place in the waiting room due to covid restrictions.

I do not know if a podiatrist will be able to pick up whats wrong with your toe, unless it's a video link type thing.

Tea Tree oil is the best stuff to put on fungal infections on your toes.

borderter

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I have been physically seeing a podiatrist for the past year as part of my health care plan, the podiatry practise has solicial distances in place in the waiting room due to covid restrictions.

I do not know if a podiatrist will be able to pick up whats wrong with your toe, unless it's a video link type thing.

Tea Tree oil is the best stuff to put on fungal infections on your toes.
Have you tried tea tree oil yourself please

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
For quite some time where I live it has been virtually impossible to get an appointment with NHS podiatry service.

Fortunately , I have found a couple of former NHS podiatrists have set up privately. I go to them a couple of times a year and don’t mind the cost of £30 a time. They have done my diabetes foot checks that have not been available at GP. I would not hestitate to ask private podiatrists for emergency appointment if there were signs of infection.
If that isn’tpossible the local pharmacy has been a good source of information. They are still seeing people, with covid infection controls in place.

Fungal nail infections are difficult to treat yourself, but I have used tea tree oil in foot soaks for general foot care. Never use it undiluted. It only needs a few drops on a bowl of water.