Political correctness - are the Monty Phytons out?

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
Comment on a now closed thread: "Take more insulin"

The thread was closed by moderators – I think on the instigation of an overseas member. I know that the threád had become quite 'frivolous' – and not politically correct – but still quite funny …

So I now wonder if political correctness is now entering England?

If so, there will be no re-runs of the Monty Python shows – so sad …?

annelise

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Oh I love a good joke and am a big Monty Python fan but it was clear on the particular thread you mention that a valued member was clearly upset. I rarely lock or delete threads as I like to see the forum flow and self moderate but occasionally this doesn't happen.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Yes annelise, I agree with you it is so sad. I can manage without Monty Python, even though I love it. I can't cope without the forum and all its members and their diversity. In February and March this year I was going through a particularly tough time and a few individuals really helped me, with their advice to others and their sense of humour. I don't know where I would be now without them. Now two of those people have said they are leaving. This whole episode has really saddened me. My early childhood was less than ideal, my parents were great, just naïve. The man they left me in the care of occasionally wasn't great, and this has caused me problems throughout my life. This evening those problems resurfaced. My sense of humour has got me through so much, am I wrong to laugh at my past while I heal? I didn't think so.

Political correctness has been in England for a long time. It is difficult to say anything without offending someone. I hope I haven't upset anyone with this post.

Reactions: 5 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'm sure no one meant any offence,but, to be honest I could fully see the "context" of the conversation which is the important bit, with nothing malicious said or implied. I'm sure anyone of us could sift through the forum to find something offensive to us. Sorry, but mountain out of molehill.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Zand of course no one should be offended by your post. Sometimes things in life,( that happen to a vast number of people at some time), can touch a nerve and reawaken traumatic encounters, with some devastating, or tragic memories:( It's how we deal with them and how to move on from that encounter that counts, and come out the other end a stronger person and not a victim.
Tomorrow is the start of a new week and so lets try and make it a good one:) RRB

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Robinredbreast, thank you.:) I haven't considered myself to be a victim for a very long time. My main problem was that memories were supressed until I was in my 40's so I had no idea what was 'wrong' with me. Now I have remembered and worked through everything that happened, I am fine. I am well adjusted to what happened and have forgiven all those concerned. They have all died now, but if I ever had the chance to meet them again, I would simply ask 'why?' I hold no hatred or malice towards them, it's all finished. My past is an important part of me, just like height and hair colour. It's what made me who I am. If I had the chance to go back and change it now, I wouldn't. What I need to do now is sort my body out and lose the weight I put on while these memories were surfacing. I was doing this with the help of the forum. However it is becoming a place where people get offended by jokes and criticize each other. There are very few jokes which aren't laughing at someone. If I can forgive what happened to me as a 0-6 year old child, why can't forum members forgive each other for mere words? Often replies are posted quickly so of course sometimes people may go beyond what others believe is decent. But we are adults and it's only words, it takes more than words to physically hurt a child. I really don't understand what happened this evening between two people I like and respect. I am very sad about the whole thing. Whilst I wouldn't change my past because it has indeed made me stronger, if I could I would turn back the clock and change what happened here tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 11 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
...& I was just wondering why I couldn't pull that thread back up.

image.jpg

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Robinredbreast, thank you.:) I haven't considered myself to be a victim for a very long time. My main problem was that memories were supressed until I was in my 40's so I had no idea what was 'wrong' with me. Now I have remembered and worked through everything that happened, I am fine. I am well adjusted to what happened and have forgiven all those concerned. They have all died now, but if I ever had the chance to meet them again, I would simply ask 'why?' I hold no hatred or malice towards them, it's all finished. My past is an important part of me, just like height and hair colour. It's what made me who I am. If I had the chance to go back and change it now, I wouldn't. What I need to do now is sort my body out and lose the weight I put on while these memories were surfacing. I was doing this with the help of the forum. However it is becoming a place where people get offended by jokes and criticize each other. There are very few jokes which aren't laughing at someone. If I can forgive what happened to me as a 0-6 year old child, why can't forum members forgive each other for mere words? Often replies are posted quickly so of course sometimes people may go beyond what others believe is decent. But we are adults and it's only words, it takes more than words to physically hurt a child. I really don't understand what happened this evening between two people I like and respect. I am very sad about the whole thing. Whilst I wouldn't change my past because it has indeed made me stronger, if I could I would turn back the clock and change what happened here tonight.

Zand...(((((hugs)))))

In my opinion, words on a screen can be taken the wrong way all too easily. My sense of humour has got me into hot water before ;)

I think that cultural differences make it harder to see humour too, the British are known for "dark humour", and the whole point of dark humour is that often it is against ourselves, and almost always no malice implied, or read in to it. If someone is offended by something that is not personal, or by banter, there really isn't a lot we can do apart to self censor to the point of near silence...just in case :(. Then you lose the cameraderie, the free form of speech, and that makes participation in a forum pretty pointless.

Signy

Reactions: 8 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And anyway ...what's so funny about a Dead Parrott ?
And let's not get started on "Life of Brian" ;):D

Signy

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The problem with living on the other side of the world, all sorts of dramas happen leaving aftershocks, but since they disappear without trace by the time we get online again, we have no clue what has happened - it makes things very confusing o_O :grumpy:

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The problem with living on the other side of the world, all sorts of dramas happen leaving aftershocks, but since they disappear without trace by the time we get online again, we have no clue what has happened - it makes things very confusing o_O :grumpy:

Your lucky.. They always said that your country would be the last one standing in the event of a nuclear w

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Technically going by the timezone, are we are ahead of the UK. We are on the forum before or after they happen, gee it gets confusing

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It has nothing to do with Political Correctness it just common sense that the thread was locked and eventually removed, child abuse (whether it was said in jest) is no laughing matter and is a serious issue in this and other countries throughout the world.

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
Huh what did l do now just seen here my thread was locked and all l did was comment on a conversation at work??

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Zand what an honest and thought provoking post.<3 I know of incidences like that, not me personally, but close to home.

'Wishing that each day brings renewed strengths, brighter times and a healthier, happier you.'

RRB x