poor emotional health and food

Meandthem

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hi

I'm really worried about my teenage daughter. She is struggling with her mental health and keeps talking about her poor body image. I am pretty certain she is skipping meals or at the least not eating all that she is covering with insulin, causing some really nasty hypos understandably.

I have asked for a referral to the psychology department but wondered if anyone can offer any advice in the interim please.

Thank you

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hello @Meandthem Welcome to the forum.

Can you confirm if your daughter is type 1 ? Unfortunately if she is injecting insulin and not eating the correct value in carbs then it will result in a hypo, ideally she needs to get some counselling via her diabetic team to help her deal with her emotions attached to this type of behaviour so getting a quick and proactive response from her team is the best situation, unless she realises that her current strategy is dangerous then she will continue to behave in this way, with the greatest of respect it sounds like she is self harming herself by encouraging behaviour which results in hypos, and it's not a healthy way forward, so support is vital.

Meandthem

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
Hello @Meandthem Welcome to the forum.

Can you confirm if your daughter is type 1 ? Unfortunately if she is injecting insulin and not eating the correct value in carbs then it will result in a hypo, ideally she needs to get some counselling via her diabetic team to help her deal with her emotions attached to this type of behaviour so getting a quick and proactive response from her team is the best situation, unless she realises that her current strategy is dangerous then she will continue to behave in this way, with the greatest of respect it sounds like she is self harming herself by encouraging behaviour which results in hypos, and it's not a healthy way forward, so support is vital.
Hi

Thanks for the reply. Yes she’s type 1. I checked her meter last night and she’s also doing the opposite of not injecting and hence going high.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Hi @Meandthem if she’s not eating and then injecting she would be going low - is this correct ? What follow up care is being provided for her ? Would she talk to others and open up ?