Porridge oats

bluestar

I have been eating oats for breakfast since I have been diagnosed. This does not raise my blood sugar levels. I mix this with fat free yoghuts and a banana. Works well for me. The thing is that I am now tired of this, does anyone have any simillar or other breafast ideas.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
bluestar,

That's good to hear as some people cannot eat oats as it sends their bg high. I can eat porridge without spiking too but I cover mine with insulin, you could try all-bran but be careful as some are higher in sugar and salt than others. All-bran is a low-gi food, and I eat mine with a generous handful of seeds and low-fat yogurt and a splash of milk, very delicious, nutritious and keeps the bowels regular! :D

Nigel

jaykay

There's a granola recipe in this part of the forum. You make it up in bulk and it keeps nicely. It has linseed, nuts,coconut and seeds etc and I have it with blueberries and yoghurt. Yummy!

jaykay

Here you go, it's on this forum in recipes :

Granola Topping

60g (2oz) flaked almonds
50g (1¾oz) dessicated coconut
70g (2½oz) flaxseed
60g (2oz) pecans, chopped
70g (2½oz) pumpkin seeds
70g (2½oz) sunflower seeds
2 oz walnuts, chopped
60g (2oz) butter or choice of fat
3 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 tsp sweetening – sugar substitute or own choice
Method: In a large bowl, combine almonds, coconut, almonds, coconut, flaxseed, pecans, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and walnuts.
In a small saucepan melt butter gently. Remove the pan from the heat and mix in cinnamon and vanilla essence.
Pour over the nut mixture and stir to combine. Sprinkle with sweetening and stir again.
Spread mixture on a baking tray and bake, stirring around every 5 minutes for 20- 25 minutes until lightly golden. Cool and then store in an airtight container.
(You can add whatever you like and change ingredients to taste.)