Porridge

zanc

I have started making a porridge from approximately equal amounts of the following ingredients (I probably cut down on the oats).

Ground almonds
Whey protein isolate
Porridge oats (helps the thickening process a bit)

I use unsweetened soya milk (Alpro light) and finish it off with a dose of double cream and a few berries.

I can never remember the actual cooking time, but its probably a little longer than pure porridge oats.

I really like the taste and it should be quite low in carbs. I originally bought the whey protein for a substitute to soya protein for low carb bread, as I didn't quite like the taste of the soya. But I have not yet been able to get the whey bread to rise.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I don't know why the whey bread doesn't rise. If the porridge tastes nice and doesn't put the BG up, then stick with it. Use your meter.

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
So the good old porridge oats are a good breakfast option for Type2 D's ... yes/no?

Never miss my breaky but, heard recently that even the so called healthy cereals that I take e.g. Shredded-Wheat, Bran Flakes+Banana, etc, are high in starch and carbs. I like the old porridge oats made with water and a little salt and a little skimmed milk added after cooking.

Is this breakfast regime of healthy cereal or porridge a good one for a type two diabetic to start his day? beginning to doubt it, after what I've heard. :?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
wellwell1212,

Oats are full of goodness, and can satisfy any hunger, wether or not it is a good option for type 2's is another question. The only way of knowing is to test after eating, that way you will see what effect it has on blood glucose numbers. Portion control is paramount, you could try a small bowl with seeds added, which helps slow down the absorbtion.

I eat all-bran most morning with seeds and low-fat yoghurt, which has little impact on bg's, just a small bowl of 40g is about 25g of carbs, plus allowing for yogurt or milk. It is just trial and error, testing after eating is the only way of finding the answer.

Regards

Nigel

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Personally, I don't think grains and cereals are a good basis for breakfast - simply too easily metabolised to glucose and too lacking in essential proteins and fats to make it worthwhile.
As a Scot it pains me to say it, but no porridge for me thanks.

fergus

zanc

Somehow I feel it was a mistake posting this recipe. I thought that sharing a tasty low carb porridge replacement may be of interest to some, but the thread seems to have wandered off a discussion of the recipe to the pros and cons of standard porridge.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
zanc said:
Somehow I feel it was a mistake posting this recipe. I thought that sharing a tasty low carb porridge replacement may be of interest to some, but the thread seems to have wandered off a discussion of the recipe to the pros and cons of standard porridge.

zanc.

This is a discussion board. Whatever get's posted here can quite often go off into other areas. That is the nature of the forum. So you shouldn't be offended if the responses aren't quite to your liking.

I am sure that many have benefited from your post, perhaps used your recipe. Other's obviously have their own opinions about Porridge, which is after all ....the title of the Topic ?

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
Zanc ....
Thanks for the recipe, looks tasty. Whilst I like my oats, not sure now if its the best option for myself.

Noblehead ....
Performed the science as recommended and its not good news ..... Using my normal routine of a couple of Glic tabs then my standard sort of breaky (grapefriut juice, half bowl of porridge with a little salt and skimmed milk, mug of coffee with skimmed milk), couple of hours later and my count was 13.5....... doh :eek:

Fergus .....
Looks like your are on the money with your post, will now have to rethink my breakfast routine. Think I might give the old fashioned slow cook course oats a shot. Think they might be slower to metabolise, we shall see. I will report back on those if successful, think these quick oats I have been using, might be the problem.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
wellwell1212,

Sorry to hear you spiked, 13.5 is far to high and for you it is best to avoid my breakfast choice. I see that you are type 2, as I am type 1 I match my insulin to the carbs I eat, this is where type 1's can keep levels steady by using the dose adjustment practice. I fully appreciate that it is a different ball game for people with diabetes, depending on their type, treatment and ability to process carbs.

As I stated in my earlier posts, it is really down to trial and error, experimenting with foods and learning what does and doesn't cause blood spikes is the only way. Reading books and researching information from the internet can be useful tools in understanding how foods are absorbed by the body.

Regards

Nigel

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
fergus said:
Personally, I don't think grains and cereals are a good basis for breakfast - simply too easily metabolised to glucose and too lacking in essential proteins and fats to make it worthwhile.
As a Scot it pains me to say it, but no porridge for me thanks.

fergus

A while back I would have agreed 100% with Fergus. Now after drastically reducing the carbs and losing over 5 stone I find that a 30g portion of Scotts Porage Oats with S/Skimmed milk is a great starter to my day. Splenda to sweeten. Had to test relentlessly though to make sure it didn't affect my Bg levels by more than a point or so.

And as for grains (bread) you cant beat a slice or two of Granary bread and lashings of butter, sometimes Marmalade as well. I'm so lucky to be able to tolerate these now ! Shows how different we all react to certain foods.

It also shows the benefits of reduced carbing, coupled with portion control. Trouble is, first, you have to give up the stuff you like to be able to eat it later on.....???? Odd .... :? But very satisfying.

wellwell1212

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Liars and cheats
Thanks to all for their advice, much appreciated, have gone onto Amazon and bought a couple of books on Low Carbing, need to start taking this subject more seriously. Don't usually spike into double figures. Will return to the "old clothes and cold porridge" routine tomorrow and get down to being a low carb regime & starch regime. Got to come clean and point out that I have been a miserable sinner over the Xmas period and doubtless that has had some effect on my spiked reading today. :oops:

suffolkboi61

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Marzipan ewwwwwwwwww
I was told by my nurse to eat porridge, as it apparently soaks up Chloresterol.
My problem is some of the foods that have been recommended by doctor and nurse for my heart disease conflicts with my diabetes, so I am as the saying goes, "caught between the devil and the deep blue sea".
As to the recipe here, I feel that it is a good idea to have people putting them on here, especially for the new ones like myself to learn by reading the recipe's and the replies on the forums of what we can and cannot eat.

C

catherinecherub

I find that if I balance the porridge with seeds, nuts and some berries it does not spike my blood sugars. Porridge on it's own is a high carbohydrate meal but the addition of other foods levels it out.