post prandial readings.

willogs

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else suffers/has suffered with high post prandial readings but find when they get to lunch the pre meal reading is fine. Quick background I don't low carb, am 32 weeks pregnant and 28. This morning was 8.1(bit high for me) this morning. Had 2 weetabix and 1 slice of toast. 3 hours later my BS was 17.1 by lunch 5 hours later they were 4.8. I wont give you loads of readings but this is the samesimilar pattern most days. I have 6 levimir of a morning, around 10 humlin s with breakfast, 12 with lunch and about 16 with tea, 4 levimir before bed. I was on novorapid but was moved on humlin as we thought that i would get better control from it.
My hospital team are also struggling with this as my HBA1c has gone up slightly and they are worried because of the baby.
Any advice

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
The two weetabix and the slice of toast will be the cause of the spike as this is about 49 gms of carbs which convert to glucose in the body. If you could rethink your breakfast you would reduce this particular daily spike.

NickW

As Sue says, it's the carbs that are spiking your blood. You could try experimenting with the timing of your injection (i.e. inject earlier), but this isn't likely to really solve things. The only real answer is to eat fewer carbs at breakfast; things like eggs, meat, cheese, or full-fat yoghurt with nuts and a few berries would be better choices than the toast and cereal.

kegstore

Dislikes
Unnecessary rudeness, and any PC
A lot of T1s find their insulin requirements are much higher in the morning than the rest of the day, this is quite normal but you do need to take account of it when you're eating carbs particularly.

Purely as an example, my insulin/carb ratio is 1:8 in the morning, 1:12 the rest of the day and 1:14 by the evening. This makes a huge difference to the amount of insulin I need for the same amount of carb, according to when I'm eating it.

No reason why you can't keep flattish bg levels throughout the day and night once you have it nailed!

timo2

Dislikes
Glycemic excursions
Hi willogs,

You might want to consider a quicker acting rapid insulin with the breakfast that you're eating.
The profile of Humulin S isn't best suited to big hitting carbs like Weetabix.

Regards,
timo.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
"illogs
i don't think spikes are good for your baby, who is growing rapidly at the moment. you don't want him/her to be too big. Delivery could be difficult or you might need a Caesarean ( did you see the enormous baby on Tv a few days ago.?)
My non-diabetic daughter had a necessary ceasar with her 9lb 10 oz daughter 18 months ago.

jopar

Hi willow

How long do you inject before having your injection? As the humlin s, this needs to be injected at least 1/2 hour before you eat... If you are injecting it similar to novorapid just before eating, this will cause some of the spiking as the carbs you've eaten will be kicking in before your insulin starts to work hence why you have a better reading before a meal..

willogs

I inject just as I am about to eat because the concerns for me was that my pre meal readings are often 4-5 and injecting to early would cause me to hypo. I also have a 2 1/2 year old son, so any disaster or toliet stop could delay my eating. I have been have the cereal and toast for brekkie coz I am so hungry and will try and look at some alternatives.