Potatoes

nok1888

I heard if you eat potatoes with the skins on its good for you as it slows down the process of your body turning it into glucose, is that true?

2.0 Border Collies - Jinky and Chance
3.0 Cats - Monty, Dodger and Crunchie
1.1 Royal Pythons Orlina and Sedrick
0.1 BCI Boa - Aasia
1.0 Western Hognose - Hagrid
0.1 Bearded Dragon - iiara

H

Hooked

It contains more fibre with the skin on, so I imagine it would. I tend to go for skin on baby potatoes. The dietician told me the baby potatoes tend to be lower in CHO than the older ones, weight for weight, as they contain more water.

hi there , we all say what to to eat . how much to eat . let,s not talk all about eating and drinking but try to keep you away from many stresses by simply vising the ones you love . i always do it and it really works

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I don't think fibre affects the rate of conversion of starch to glucose by much. It certainly doesn't affect the TOTAL amount of carb that you ingest. Thus you can eat MUCH smaller portions. to reduce your BG spike. Or perhaps keep to new potatoes, which is what I do and eat tiny portions anyway. In addition, you can look for Vivaldi potatoes, which are supposed to contain less starch than other varieties. As far as I know, only Sainsbury's stocks them. I don't shop at Sainsbury's, so rarely have them. When I have had them in the past, they didn't spike much and were delicious. It's worth trekking to Sainsbury's for them.
Hana
PS fat slows glucose absorption, so slather potatoes in butter. The REAL kind, NOT chemical spread! Still doesn't affect total.
H

nok1888

Love potatoes laggered in butter with spring onions chopped in the mix....guess what I'm having for tea lol :grin:

2.0 Border Collies - Jinky and Chance
3.0 Cats - Monty, Dodger and Crunchie
1.1 Royal Pythons Orlina and Sedrick
0.1 BCI Boa - Aasia
1.0 Western Hognose - Hagrid
0.1 Bearded Dragon - iiara

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
New potatoes do have a lower starch content than normal or 'old' potatoes, so they are a bit better. Swimming in butter is the best!

H

Hooked

hanadr said:
I don't think fibre affects the rate of conversion of starch to glucose by much. It certainly doesn't affect the TOTAL amount of carb that you ingest. Thus you can eat MUCH smaller portions. to reduce your BG spike. Or perhaps keep to new potatoes, which is what I do and eat tiny portions anyway. In addition, you can look for Vivaldi potatoes, which are supposed to contain less starch than other varieties. As far as I know, only Sainsbury's stocks them. I don't shop at Sainsbury's, so rarely have them. When I have had them in the past, they didn't spike much and were delicious. It's worth trekking to Sainsbury's for them.
Hana
PS fat slows glucose absorption, so slather potatoes in butter. The REAL kind, NOT chemical spread! Still doesn't affect total.
H

As far as I'm aware fibre does allow down absorption?

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Raw potatoes contain the highest amounts of indigestible carbohydrates, ie dietry fibre, boiled new potatoes come next on the list. By the time the potatoes are getting older, more ripe, softer and you boil them until very soft and then mash them, changes in the structure of the chemical bonds of the potato have turned much of the indigestible carbohydrates into digesible carbs. It is a process called saccharification where soluble polysaccharides are converted into simple sugars, an essential element in making potato vodka.