Potential issue with batch of Novorapid cartridges

Daver

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Malicious liars, people who interrupt, war.
Hi all,

Just wanted to alert everyone that there may be an issue with Novorapid cartridges batch number CK70010. I recently posted the note below as my insulin wasn't working correctly. I changed the individual cartridge with one from the same batch and the same problem presented itself. By changing the second cartridge with one from a new batch - normality resumed. I realise that this may not be the case but wanted to mention it, just in case.

I'm also on Levemir which I've changed too; although, I don't think this is the problem. Levemir batch number CK0258.

Previous thread: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=49373

Cheers

Dave

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Do you know whether the bad cartridges had been stored correctly and below the max temperature (of 8 degC I believe). I tested my fridge recently and found it was several degrees higher than it should have been and adjusted it. Also chemists like mine should store it correctly but did yours? My chemist always provides a nice cold insulin pack from the fridge when I pickup my prescription. Reading a few months back about counterfeit needles unknowingly issued by legitimate pharmacies I also wonder whether there are any counterfeit cartridges around? Have you contacted Novodisk?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Daibell said:
Also chemists like mine should store it correctly but did yours?

This is the trouble, we don't know how the insulin has been stored in transit and between the wholesaler and the pharmacy's.

At least you found the cause of your higher bg readings Dave :thumbup:

Daver

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Malicious liars, people who interrupt, war.
Yes, I stored the insulin correctly in the fridge and it's working ok. I use Boots to collect my prescriptions from and they always get it from the fridge so can only assume that this is done correctly as well; the Boots I go to is very good in my opinion. I've never had need to doubt the actual insulin before but it's quite a valuable lesson either way.

Thanks for your replies.

Dave

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
You ought to report this to MHRA...

warden01

I've had a similar issue in the past though not with the same batch and dumped my cartridges just in case. I'm also in the honeymoon period and with my basal doses changing, it can look like the rapid dose just isn't working (at least for me). There's been nothing through from the MHRA on problems with any Novorapid (I keep an eye out) but if you are sure there hasn't been any storage problems, it could be worth notifying them. I'd contact the manufacturer first / as well though