1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

PoTs - Alternative Diagnosis Worth Exploring

Discussion in 'Reactive Hypoglycemia' started by Artemis23, Apr 11, 2022.

1. Artemis23

Artemis23 · Newbie

Hi All!

So I posted here a year or so ago, thinking I definitely had reactive hypoglycemia. My symptoms were very similar to diabetic lows but without actually getting low blood sugar.

I've since been diagnosed with POTS, which is a type of orthostatic intolerance. In essence, when I stand, my heart rate sky rockets, and my blood pressure does as well (though most people have their blood pressure drop, there is hyper and hypo POTS).

The symptoms are pretty much match typical low blood sugar symptoms: racing heart, clammy, sweating, feeling weak, shaking, irritable, dizziness, etc etc.

It's also easy to think it's related to food, because symptoms are alleviated by high salt intake. Sweet, high refined carb foods tend to be lower in salt, so it's easy to see a pattern with higher sugar and more symptoms.

The test is simple. Using a blood pressure monitor, you check your heart rate and blood pressure while lying down for ten minutes or so, then stand up and test every minute or so for ten- fifteen minutes. (Google poor man's tilt table test for POTS for more directions).

I went to a cardiologist after seeing that my stats qualified me for a POTS diagnosis, and was advised to dramatically up my salt intake (it's caused usually by low blood volume and salt increases your blood volume). Since then (Nov 2021) I haven't had a single episode of those horrid symptoms.

Just putting this out there in the hopes of helping someone searching for answers like I was!

• Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. jonathan183

jonathan183 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

3. rosemaree

rosemaree LADA · Well-Known Member

@Artemis23 Thanks for sharing this! I always had weird symptoms (since I was a child) that I used to think were related to sugar, I have even considered reactive hypoglycemia, but I've been looking at nervous system issues and came across pots some time ago, it seems to fit my symptoms better. I am hoping to get to a therapist who I can talk to about my concerns soon.
    Really interesting what you say about the salt - I've always had a sweet tooth and never used much salt, but a couple of years ago I actually started adding salt to my food and I felt so much better for it, it's been really weird, because everyone always tells you to limit salt, and it has been hard to explain how it helped!

4. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

Yeah, thank you for that!
    It is so interesting how many conditions have the same symptoms and some of my symptoms can be confusing, especially when my tremor disorder is the same as my old symptoms of RH.
    One of these is the shaking, when in the morning until I get going, it can be very similar to low blood levels, but I knew before I was diagnosed as I had never had the shaking in the morning, only after food!
    But, being the hypochondriac, everyone knows I am, I'm going to text myself now!
    I hope it's not another condition to and to the list!

5. Lamont D

Lamont D Reactive hypoglycemia · Master

As part of a low carb diet, you have to add salt, and plenty of water!
    For many reasons

6. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

@NEOBAHAMUT I'm going to tag you in to this thread because I know you have been getting hypo symptoms at non hypo levels.... (I stress, I'm not suggesting you have this condition but in your position I'd be considering non diabetic possibilities as well as diabetic ones.)

@Artemis23 thank you for sharing your story.

• Like Like x 1
  7. MrsA2

MrsA2 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It's Dr David Unwin who says salt was blamed for the harm sugar does

8. NEOBAHAMUT

NEOBAHAMUT · Newbie

Good evening.

I’ve been having the same symptoms for a few years now….shakes, nausea, weakness, tremor, fatigue, breathless and palpitations. My blood sugars always remain in the normal range generally. Now when this first started about 4 years ago I came on here thinking it was diabetes. I have had all the tests at the GP and also been under endocrinology department and they have also confirmed I don’t have diabetes.

I am currently booked in for an appointment in the next couple of weeks for a tilt table test at the hospital (as I’m now under cardiology)….

we will see what comes of that.

@EllieM thanks for tagging me….. I’ve only just logged back in to the forum as I saw this thread… didn’t realise that you had tagged me. But thanks very much for this. As I’ve said above since my last set of posts I’ve pushed and pushed for this so hoping this test confirms…..

I’m still struggling to control my symptoms.

#8 NEOBAHAMUT, Jun 23, 2022 at 6:46 PM
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  9. EllieM

EllieM Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

@NEOBAHAMUT I will keep my fingers crossed for you that you achieve some sort of diagnosis and a resolution of your symptoms. (I must admit it would be awesome if just taking more salt could improve your condition :).)

Wishing you lots and lots of luck.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook