Preconception BG targets please help!

meela83

Hello everyone
I haven't posted for a long time as I had forgotten my username, but have been reading posts with interest for the last couple of months. At christmas time my HbA1c was over 14%, today, 4 weeks post DAFNE it is 8.9%. I know to some of you this will still seem really high but for me it is a huge achievement. Have had my first appt at preconception clinic today and have been given targets of 3.5-5.9 pre-meals and below 7.8 1 hour after meals. The pre-meal I can and have been achieving but I have no idea how to get to the 7.8 1 hour after meals, I really don't want to cut out carbs completely but am happy to cut down (currently eating about 40-60g carb with each meal). I know that my body doesn't like chips as the other night I went from 5.4 pre-meal to 15.4 2 hours after. I really want to get my body in the best shape possible for babies and would really appreciate any help or advice. Thank you.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I am not a type 1 but surely 3.5 is hypo territory? Seems very low ,is there a reason for this?
I would suggest trying to reduce your carbs to say 30 per meal and see if this makes a difference but be careful with your insulin doses as well.If you can tolerate lower, say 60-90 gm per day so much the better but just take it a step at a time.This will lower your post meal readings.
You really need to discuss these low figures with your health team though.

meela83

Thanks sugarless sue, have discussed with preconception team and they have said 3.5 is the very lower end of the target and they prefer 4-5 but 3.5 is the minimum, 0.1mmol under and classed as a hypo! Will try reducing the carbs gradually.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The lower figure of 3.5 pre-meal is way to low, this could be a start of a hypo, and I would not be happy injecting insulin when this low. The 5.9 figure is really good, and I for one would be more than happy with this.

The post-meal level of 7.8 sounds reasonable 1 hour after eating, and this would continue to fall by the 2-3 hour mark. Should you achieve bg's within this range, I would imagine your Hba1c would fall into a acceptable level.

Congratulations are in order for bringing your Hba1c down from 14 last christmas, to a recent result of 8.9, this is one big step and should be commended. I have recently cut back the amount of carbs I eat at each meal and seen big improvements in the control, and when I do eat carbs I always make sure that they are low GI foods that slowly release starch into the body. Potatoes are a high GI food, and therefore chips will undoubtedly raise bg's after a meal.

Good luck with your plans on starting a family, and improving your control will benefit you in the coming events. Best wishes.

Nigel