Prediabetes and depression

Sukayalid

Can prediabetes cause depression?
I sleep and wake up early , lost of concentration and memory, irritable and moody, loss of appetite, weight loss about 13 kg since July 2014, headaches all the time, even had eyes retested. Just want to cry all the time.

WilliamEE

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It most certainly can. Any medical condition has the ability to cause depression.

You should if possible seek help in relation to the depression.

I have suffered from depression over the last 30 years and all of it relates to health issues. I've been going through a very tough time the last six months and just when things were improving a little late last year it's all come back.

collectingrocks

There are a shed-load of causes for depression; are you depressed because you are prediabetic or is there something else/other things in your life contributing to your depression?

Have you been prediabetic a long time? If so, what steps have you taken to get your BS down?

Sukayalid

I was diagnosed last year July. I have a meter and went through stage where I tested with foods. Now do morning and evening but Fbs is a little high lately 6.6 to 7.0. Probably due to stress from work. Our job profiles have been changed. The ad hoc duties have now become permanent duties, so I have gone from doing purchase ledger to reporting which I am technically not qualified for, hence the stress. This happened a year ago. Now struggling as I battle to concentrate.

A

AnnieC

Sounds like your depression is more work related stress than prediabetes your BG is not to bad I would recommend you see your doctor and tell him how you are feeling. I know it is not easy these days but perhaps you could consider a job change Doing a job that is causing so much stress is not good for anyones health

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There's a thread somewhere on here where people post what they think caused their diabetes.
Lots of different reasons, from genetics to steroids, to lifestyle, but a very common contributor is stress.

I'm not saying this to worry you - but to encourage you to take your stress seriously, and seek help sooner rather than later. Far better than struggling on and feeling overwhelmed.

How good is your diet? I ask because whenever I am stressed, the first thing to go is my efforts to eat well!
And your inability to concentrate? Well, that sounds like the classic 'brain fog' that kicks in when blood glucose is running too high. Perhaps reduce your carbs for a few days, replace them with more salad, veg, fish eggs and meats. If it makes a difference, you know you were eating too many carbs. If you still feel bad, then you've eliminated one likely cause and can carry on looking...

Hope this helps.