Pregnancy Advice.

Still_Hopeful

Hi.

I am 23 years old, and have been diabetic for verging on 19 years.

I cared very little about my diabetes as a teenager, and I thought of it more as a burden. Something which made me different from every one else. I'm sure most teenagers still feel that. But I lost control of my diabetes. I didn't test my blood levels, and I often "forgot" my insulin. Naturally, I felt awful - All the time.

As I got older, I began listening to the stories about not having healthy children, the damage it can do to me, etc... I started listening, and although my intention to sort myself out was there, it didn't happen. I was an idiot.

Not too long ago, my partner and I discussed life, and what we wanted, and now we're applying for our first mortgage together and we want our own child. We spend all our free time around children of all ages, and it's the one thing we want so much. I don't want to let him down, or myself down.

I spoke to my diabetes nurse, and we put together a plan. We're aiming for 18months, and then my partner and I will begin trying for a baby. I'm aware I need to begin Folic Acid in advance, and my nurse changed me from 2 injections a day, to the 4 a day regime. This was 5 months ago, and I am now improving. I test my sugar's 3-6 times a day, and I don't miss injections (although once or twice I have injected after my meal, instead of before).

My hba1c is far too high. It went from 10.6 to 9.7 in a month. I'm due to get my next test at the end of April. I'm aware I should be aiming for 6, but I'm nervous because I do like a bit (a lot) of chocolate, that is my only guilty pleasure - I don't smoke, nor do I drink alcohol. I just don't believe I could get it to 6, let alone maintain that. I'm struggling to get out of the chocolate rut.

I'm wondering if anybody has any advice, or tips, on how to accurately balance the chocolate with the Novamix insulin. Or go cold turkey? And also if anyone's been through pregnancy after an unstable history and how can you claw it back under control? At least enough to give me the best start at becoming a mother.

I apologise for the rambling... it scares me that I may not be able to control my blood sugar enough to be able to fall pregnant, and have a successful pregnancy.
Any advice (or reassurance) would be hugely appreciated.

hazyclaire

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi! Just wondering if you've looked into a carb counting course like DAFNE?

Your story sounds very familiar to me, except I wasn't diagnosed until 14, but all the teenage feelings, denial resentment and lack of blood testing was me too. My HBa1c was around 10 back then.

I started caring and thinking about the future at around 25 (8 years ago). I changed to Levemir and Novorapid from mixed insulin and went on the DAFNE course and got my HBa1c down to 8 2 months after the course and then it's been in the 7s (nearly) ever since. My January result had crept up to the 8s but I did take my eye off the ball around the time of our wedding and honeymoon and my most recent test last month was back down to 7.3. I am hopeful that my next test next week will be the first result in 18 years in the 6s!! If so the doctor says we will talk to the obstetrician about coming off my pill. I credit all of this to DAFNE - it really did turn things around for me. And I can eat chocolate without ruining my results - amazing!

Good luck to you also, it sounds like you're heading in the right direction.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App